New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best " AR " Type Rifle ?
 Login/Join

<QUARTERBORE>
posted
O.K. guys I need your help. It just hit me that I can not live without an "AR". My problem is I don't know which one. It will be used for P-dogs, coyotes and plinking ( not comp. ) It will wear a scope. I'm looking for all the info and advice I can get.

THANKS GUYS !!!

QUARTERBORE

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
From everything I have heard, the Rock River guns are top notch. Bushmaster and DPMS are also very nice. But to be perfectly honest, I'll keep my Armalite M15-A4(T). It cost a lot more, but that thing is damned near perfect as it came from the box. During barrel break-in I never shot a group larger than 3/4" at 100 yards. After break-in shooting 68,75,and 77 gr. molly match ammo, it started putting those 77 gr. pills into 1/4" with monotonous regularity. Talk about a pasture poodle getter. The trigger is a two-stage NM trigger that is absolutely superb and it also comes with a free floated stainless heavy barrel. It is a heavy rifle, and after putting in a stock weight to balance it more, it must tip the scales between 10 to 11 pounds, but my God that thing just sits there when you shoot it and any misses are definitely your fault. Besides the stock weight, the only other thing I did to the rifle was put in a J-P Enterprises rear tension pin to pull the upper and lower together for an absolutely rock solid fit. If you want to go the semi route for a varmint rifle, I cannot think of a better rifle to use. Then if you want to go a little comando, just switch out the upper with the configuration of your choice, and it does not have to be an Armalite upper, but that is true with any of them except late made Colts (to use a non-colt upper on a Colt lower, you need a less than $10 adapter for the front pivot pin). We also have a Colt H-Bar A3 and the Armalite shoots rings around it, but to be fair, the Colt does have a chrome lined barrel, and that does nothing for accuracy.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Reloader 1>
posted
I have a Bushmaster varmint rig topped with a Nikon target scope and it is as accurate as any heavy barrel factory bolt out there . I would go for stainless barrels not crome lined for accuracy.Bushmaster makes alot of models and all good stuff.My 2

[ 04-14-2003, 05:04: Message edited by: Reloader 1 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the RRA. On our rifle team we have a lot of different brands but for the money I'd go with RRA followed by the Bushy.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rock river

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
I just sold it (I really can't think why), but I had an Armalite "Predator" early model. It had a super heavy target barrel, match trigger, fitted with a 4x16 Redfield. It would put them in the same hole at 100 yards out of the box. But it was heavy!

I'm partial to the Armalite's, but most of the manufacturers made acceptable rifles. Just find one with the aformentioned heavy stainless barrel and a match trigger.

Regards,

Eric

<QUARTERBORE>
posted
Had the chance to shoot the Rock River Varmint rifle at the range today. Fell in love with the NM two stage trigger !! But man is that sucker HEAVY,guy that owned it said rock river does not offer a shorter barrel or fluting. Anybody know if this is true ,or why ?? I think I might go with the RRA NM lower and a Bushmaster Varmint upper. Any other ideas ??

<KBGuns>
posted
Rock River Arms

From their web site, they offer all the typical versions of AR15s. Including 16, 18, 20, and 24 inch barrels on their Varminter model.

Kristofer

<Sam>
posted
Rock River! Mine is a National Match, you'll want a Varminteer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got an AR-15 A3 hbar elite from Colt w/ a 24' SS barrel, JPS trigger, a Leupold variXII 3X9 and it is accurate, especially using lighter bullets ~55 grains or less. I get 3/4" or better accuracy even with the cheap ammo. The spread opens up to 1 1/2" with 62 grain bullets. No complaints at all. It was however a bit more expensive than the Bushmaster.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote