Find
Notify
Tools

Damn I hate muzzle breaks/flash suppressors
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted
Had the AR10s out last Sunday. Decided to shoot prone, sling and all that, just to see if I could get down there, shoot with some accuracy and get back up.
The AR10t was a dream to shoot, other then being heavy. The AR10A4 thru up a cloud of dust about two feet on either side of the barrel.
I'm thinking about getting rid of the muzzle break and putting on a nut to protect the threads.
Anybody else find the dust issue bothersum?

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hakim with about the most effective muzzle brake you could imagine. I have never fired it near the ground. It has two large side vents that I am sure would blow up some dirt. It also many holes pointing upward that almost blow your cap off when you shoot it.
I never use it without double hearing protection.
Several years ago I was alone at the range when two ding dongs arrived. Out of 24 open benches they had to set up right next to me. Both had braked Weathery Mark Vs one a .300 WBY and the other a 7mm. After nearly blowing me away with muzzle blast I retaliated. Out came my Hakim. After about a dozen rounds of that right next to them they packed it in and left.

Brakes uncomfortable for the shooter but they also bother nearby shooters. I never shoot mine unless I alone at the range or there are 4 or 5 benches open on both sides of me.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Arkypete,

Muzzle brakes do indeed cause a big dust storm, and also change point of impact when shooting in supported prone position or from bipod.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I shoot a FAL Para fitted with a DNTC brake & the benefits in reduced recoil & muzzle rise outweigh the dust problem.
The design means the shooter doesn't feel the blast but those on either side do, so I try to make sure I'm away from others at the range.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I don't find the recoil, etc. from a 7.62 to be much of a bother.
I'm considering having an extension made to replace the current muzzle brake, to reduce the dust problem.
When the barrel wears out I'll have a standard barrel of the same length installed.
I am putting a bipod on the AR10t but cannot see the need on the a4.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote