New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on the 1917 Enfield 303
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking of buying a 1917 Enfield, suposidly in good shooting condition. Since they've been in service for so long, I'm taking it that their good shooters. What price is average for these things?

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on whether it's "intact" or sporterized. Look on Auction Arms, under P-14 or Pattern 14 (the 303 is actually a 'Pattern 14' while the Enfield Model of 1917 is a 30-06). I occasionally look at them, and most go in the $300 -- $400 range as I remember.

Once out of military trim though, you should be able to get them for < $200. I just bought two P-14 actions for ~$100. Neat looking actions, they look quite hefty compared to a trim little Mauser.

Todd

Just realized you may also be referring to the SMLE or Lee-Enfields, which are totally different than the 14 / 17. I don't know anything about those rifles.

[ 11-15-2002, 00:39: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I just picked up my sixth Enfield,A Remington P-14 in quite nice condition,full military dress for $279. I am getting my 35 Whelen on a Remington 30 action in 2 weeks. Cost ? $325 My next delivery of a Enfield is a 500A2,,,expected cost,,,mmmm don't want to go there yet...45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guy's it took so long to get back with some info. It's a 1917 Enfield SMLE III*, suposidly unaltered, and in excelent condition. I haven't actually seen it yet, and have only viewed pictures of it. But it looks as described. Told the guy I'd give him $375 for it. Have been going over the D.O.J. pages to make sure California hasn't passed some new regulation against it. Couldn't find anything, but you never know in this state. Guess they have the M1A1 down as an assult weapon now. I don't curently have any military type rifles, hope I didn't do too bad on my first.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I won the bid on the Enfield over at gunbroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=6099517

Probably paid too much for it. But it looks pretty good, and if it shoots as good as it looks, then I'll be happy. As I said this will be my first millitary rifle.

Phil

<GarthDial>
posted
$375 for an SMLE #1MkIII* made in 1917! Dear Lord, you must have just fallen off the turnip wagon! Don't go near any gypsy camps unless you intend on walking away stark necked! No wonder you won the bid; your's was probably 4 times higher than the next lowest! Holy Cow, but P.T. Barnum would be jealous of the man who suckered you into that deal!

I went to the website where the gun is listed. By golly, it really is a WWI SMLE #1MkIII* that should not sell for more than $200, at the very most, if the thing was in brand-new, unrefinished, unaltered condition with the documentation from the British Government to prove it. Unfortunately, some unscrupulous person has cut it down and fitted it with a WWII flashhider made for the #5 Jungle Carbine. The situation is actually worse than I thought! You better back out of that deal if it is at all possible!

[ 11-19-2002, 09:40: Message edited by: GarthDial ]

<Chris Long>
posted
Go to <http://www.uidaho.edu/~stratton/en-page/fakes.htm>, scroll down to <No. 6 "Jungle Carbine>

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greyghost,

To you the rifle was worth what you paid for it. It doesn't make any difference what the rest of us think about, or what it is worth to us. Just make sure you get $350 worth of enjoyment out of it, then you got your money's worth. [Wink]

Keeping up the mediocre work here.

Posts: 614 | Location: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 11-28-2002, 09:57: Message edited by: Greyghost ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris, I want to thank you all for your information. I backed away from the deal, with some bad feelings I'm afraid, and in the end being suspended form Gunbroker.com. After just one "Non paying bidder alert" Though I believe this was due to my saying that I was going to complain to the Better Business Bureau about them giving out my Name, Address, and Phone Number to the seller, who is only approx. 40 miles from where I live. In the end I felt that the seller had mis-represented the item, as a near mint condition 1917 SMLE III*, with an NRA rating of Excelent, which states: Excellent - all original parts; over 80% original finish; sharp lettering, numerals and design on metal and wood; unmarred wood; fine bore.
A few days after the auction he e-mails me that it says Jungle Rifle on the reciever. Which from what I can find out is an un-authorized replica of the Jungle Carbine made up of misalanious parts. So be it, I'm on the s__t list again at work too.

Phil

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Greyghost

If all is as it is written then send the information to gunbroker. You are the WRONG one to be suspended over this issue.
Don't let someone sully your name over their less than honest selling practices!
Besides you may save us from this same "person".
LouisB

Just an opinion of course.

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Per577>
posted
P-17 Sporterized Enfield,,the strongest there is !
A-square claims this after several tests that the Action withstands a pressurerate of 106,000 p.s.i before things starts to loosening (bad language)and that exceed the strenght of any case. A case would be severely up/�//&/&Ucked at about 100,000 p.s.i. Which means this action is stronger than the cases tolerance. This test was with the .577 T-rex. [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Greyghost,
You did well to avoid this one! The only jungle carbines made on SMLE No1 Mk3* were made at lithgow Australia. They made 200 No.1 Mk6 and about 100 No.1 Mk6*'s for experimental purposes.
The English did make jungle carbines at Enfield but on the latter No4 Mk1 actions and designated them No1 Mk5.
Just from the web picture it looks like a "bodgy" job to me.
To all you collectors get a copy of the "British Service Lee"; I've seen too many put together genuine sniper and rare model guns that have in many instances fooled the previous purchaser.
Like the guy who was selling a mint P14 Winchester 'virtually unfired'; metal was perfect but it had a M17 stock which doesn't have the long range volley sights on the LHS.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote