New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 match grade ammo ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all, my Lt. just asked me to try to locate about 1000 rounds of match grade 308 for the sniper program we just started. I have seen surplus match grade 308 online before but am having trouble locating any now. Anyone have a source?
Thanks,
Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And does anyone have a good source for surplus 7.62x51 ball?

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to a couple of "sniper" forums and we are going to try "the shooting shack" ammo. I heard that their quality has improved and the ammo is really acurate, under .5 MOA. And the LEO price was hard to beat. So we ordered 1000 rds, it is loaded with lake city match brass, sierra 168 gr. hpbt. We will see what kind of accuracy we get out of the rem 700P.

Eterry

Good luck and good shooting.
In Memory of Officer Nik Green, #198, Oklahoma Highway Patrol Troop G...Murdered in the line of duty 12-26-03...A Good Man, A Good Officer, and A Good Friend gone too soon

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try BlackHills, the best US manufactured precision ammo, I ever shot. 3 impacts touching each other in a 17 to 23 mm groups @ 300 meters with my PGM, repeated performance.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are looking for here but AIM Surplus has two types of surplus 308 [http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/308.html]
one Lithuanian Surplus M80 .308/7.62x51 146grn FMJ and Igman M80 .308 (7.62x51) 146grn FMJ. I cannot speak for wither but the price sure looks right!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want the best, you're going to have to use Black Hills or Fed Gold Medal Match. OTOH, for training at or under 300m, almost any commercial ammo is adequate. I can tell you from personal experience that ANY major US manufactured .308 is more accurate than almost all military "sniper" rounds. I haven't used the very latest military sniper ammo (offhand I forget the numerical designation CRS syndrome)so can't speak about it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're a PO, then contact a larger PD and find out who their supplier is. Talk nice and they might turn some loose to you until yours is delivered. My old PD did it quite often for start up teams. Good luck.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eterry:
Hey all, my Lt. just asked me to try to locate about 1000 rounds of match grade 308 for the sniper program we just started. Eterry

And exactly what constitutes "match grade" in his eyes?

Sounds to me as if so far he has given you an impossible assignment. If he means Lake City match ammo, I'd use proper channels to obtain a copy of the military specs for that ammo. Then I'd ask any supplier to confirm that the ammo meets or exceeds the performance specs of the Lake City stuff.

If he means something other than "standard" Lake City match ball, then you should ask him to give you some specs for what would satisfy him.

If he doesn't know why ammo specs are important, then I hope someone else is teaching the marksmanship part of the course....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to stay away from Wolf ammo.

Black Hills ammo has been very difficult to get for a year and a half due to military contracts.

www.midwayusa.com usually has a decent selection of loaded ammo.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote