Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand
 Login/Join

posted
I recently recieved a M1 from the CMP. on the left hand side of there is a round metai disk an 1.375 " dia. held on by 2 screws into the wood. It is about 2.25 back from the front of the reciever, and has fine graduations up to 06. What is it? My guess would be some sort of a sight base for granade launching. Thanks Guys

Posts: 63 | Location: Fla. | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the grenade launching sight mount for rifle grenades.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Photo's ?

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Wood:
I recently recieved a M1 from the CMP. on the left hand side of there is a round metai disk an 1.375 " dia. held on by 2 screws into the wood. It is about 2.25 back from the front of the reciever, and has fine graduations up to 06. What is it? My guess would be some sort of a sight base for granade launching. Thanks Guys
for an M1 adjustable gas system with a good explanation go to www.mccannindustries.com they build 338mag & 458 mag garands

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, more than likely the grenade launcher sight base. The sight attached to the base.

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I recently went on Gunparts/Numrich arms web site, and lo and behold there it is the whole enchilata. They have the base (which I recieved mounted on my Garand),the sight which goes on the base, an attachment that goes on the muzzle and last but not least a practice grenade that you can launch. These were used with blanks I belive Thanks for all of your imput ---George

One of Us
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Hi Guys I can't believe that none of you Korean war vets havn't used one of these grenade launchers. I recieved the parts fr. Gun Parts today and put it all together, quite a contraption but it probably was quite effective. I would post some picturesf I only knew how. George