Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 ammofor cetme
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought a CETME and have noticed some people are having problems with military ammo being to old or very hard primers. So have decided to use factory 308 instead. Is this ammo to hot for the cetme? Thanks

Posts: 22 | Location: Carlsbad New Mexico | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
Neal,

The CETME being a military rifle, it should function fine with most military ammo. Mine does, no problem. As for the commercial stuff, I'd think you would have more problem with the brass being softer than "hot" rounds. This could possibly lead to the rim being torn off during extraction. A bad thing.

There are those who think that firing commercial ammo in a military rifle is bad. "Too hot and will blow up the gun." IMHO this is incorrect. The majority of military ammo is loaded to pretty high pressures so it will work in cold temperatures and hostile environments. Also the majority of military's use the same ammo in both rifles and machine guns. MG ammo has to be high pressure to funtion the gun. There are exceptions such as the original CETME loads, which were pretty gentle for a military loading.

I'd really try a varity of surplus ammo in small lots first to see what works best. If you have problems you could try commercial. I do not believe you will have problems. Again, there are those who disagree.

Regards,

Eric

posted Hide Post
Thanks Eric for your reply. I have read where the Portugese ammo made in the 70's-80's is the best out there. What kinds have you tried in yours? Now it seems it is getting harder to find as well and order is generally a back order. I am going to find some places and call them today and see what I can find. Again thanks.

Posts: 22 | Location: Carlsbad New Mexico | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
Neal,

I've shot "mixed bag" ammo with rounds from Isreal, Germany, the U.S., Portugal, and Turkey. It all worked unless one didn't "go off" due to a bad primer. Some were corrosive. I've also used 147 grain reloads approximating NATO loads, again using mixed brass. While I've not put more than a thousand (if that) through it, it seems to function with all I've shot.

I just need to "battle sight zero" the rifle with the new tool I've made.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Forest/9504/articles/a002.htm

Regards,

Eric

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Cheaper than dirt has port ammo in stock as we speak, you can get a 200round battle pack for $30. I don't know how it shoots in a cetme but it is great in my FAL.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah I ordered some of the port stuff from sportsmans guide 200 rounds and did get to shoot ten rounds before the wasps ran me off I'm allergic to them so didn't stay around to long. Also ordered 640 rounds of 98 make Indian from classic arms in North Carolina. As soon as my sight tool comes in from Tapco will sight in and group. Thanks for the input guys.

one of us
Picture of Burke
posted Hide Post
FWIW,I've fired a good bit(500+) of the Port surplus thru my CETME's without a single prob. [Big Grin]

Posts: 111 | Location: Western Ky | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Port runs real nice thru my cetme. The main reason to not use commercial ammo in the Cetme is the fluted chamber. Commercial brass is softer than Mil. surp and can expand into the flutes and cause head seperation. Just be carefull of the India stuff they are selling re packaged in 10 round packs. Lots of complaints about it.

Just in case you are interested there is a great board for Cetme owners at http://www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi

Just scroll down till you find it.

Not trying to take you from here. This is a fine board an I love it, but the Cetme board can really answer your questions on the Cetme.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So far both brands have functioned perfectly. I don't shoot to good with open sights but my brother can really put 'em in there with the cetme. Thanks for the info.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neal Rea:
Thanks Eric for your reply. I have read where the Portugese ammo made in the 70's-80's is the best out there. What kinds have you tried in yours? Now it seems it is getting harder to find as well and order is generally a back order. I am going to find some places and call them today and see what I can find. Again thanks.

I've tried a number of different vintages in my M1A and I have to say Port BF 79-79 is the most accurate. I have not chronographed this ammo side-by-side with others, but it sure shoots tighter groups than the Spanish and South African ammo I have tried. I have heard the same thing from a number of other shooters...too many to be coincidence.

I bought a 1000 round case of the Port a couple weeks ago at a show (in Richmond, VA) for $159...I should've bought two or three.

Tim

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm not good with open sights but my brother did some shooting the other day useing the Indian at 50 yards(wind was blowing hard). He shot 10 rounds and could cover with a nickel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BEWARE ! some CETME were designed for CETME / NATO rounds with a much lighter powder load than regular NATO ammo.

many infos here:

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Headlines&BID=30&SID=777925

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Edmond I'll check it out. So far no problems shooting port or Indian. The port has the circle cross but Indian does not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
if your CETME is a "Modelo C" there is no problem to shoot regular NATO rounds , I would avoid to use ammo without the NATO headstamp.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I purchased an Armalite AR-10T this previous weekend and wanted to begin the break in process, as well as getting acquainted with the rifle myself, this weekend. I could get the South African and the Portugese locally, Richmond, Va.
The trigger on the AR-10 was gritty, long, awful would be an appropriate discription. Plus my fingers are so long as to be using the second knuckle on my trigger finger to squeeze the tigger.
The ammo all went off, was OK accurate, maybe 2 inch group at 100 yards. I'm not blaming the rifle as it's been nearly thirty five years since I fired a semi auto battle rifle.
After I get a different trigger, butt expension, and grip spacer for my long fingers I'm sure this rifle will do better.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick to milsurp 7.62x51mm "NATO" rounds for CETME, commercial .308 has a different headspace dimension. You'll have too much pressure using .308 Win. ammo, it is proven it is fact, it is NOT as easy as putting a .44 Spl. round in a .44 Mag., no less no more.

<Eric>
posted
[Reply With Quote]
"Stick to milsurp 7.62x51mm "NATO" rounds for CETME, commercial .308 has a different headspace dimension. You'll have too much pressure using .308 Win. ammo, it is proven it is fact, it is NOT as easy as putting a .44 Spl. round in a .44 Mag., no less no more."

"C.C", I don't know where you are getting your information, however just to point out a fact, the headspace gages for 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester are the same dimensions. Ergo, the cartridges have identical dimensions. Manufacturing tolerences are similiar. The military uses the field gage which is slightly larger than the "NO-GO" to check if headspace is so excessive as to be dangerous.

That "urban legend" about the more powerful civilian ammo is just that. The problem lies in the use of HEAVY BULLETS in rifles designed for bullets around the 145-150 grain range. Heavy bullets change the operational cycle of the weapon and this can lead to damage. If you use commercial cartridges within the specified bullet weight, there will be no problem.

For example. A 1911A1 .45 ACP is designed for a 220 FMJ cartridge. Some folks have reloaded a 250 SWC and shot their pistols to pieces in short order. The 250 SWC imparts approximately 50% greater recoil force to the slide. This is bad. Rifles are no different. As some folks have had bad things happen to their weapons because they did something none too bright, this stuff becomes gospel. Well, it's crap.

I've shot many hundreds of commercial cartridges and reloads in commercial brass in 30-06, 7.62 NATO and 7.92mm Mauser in Garands, M1A's, .30 carbines, FN/FAL's, CETME's, Hakim's and more. I have NEVER had a problem with any chambering as long as I stayed with the specified bullet weight.

There can sometimes be a problem with commercial brass that is too soft. Commercial brass is not hardened as is military ammo. Sometimes the rim can be torn off by a violent action, in extreme cases (usually with a rifle with generous headspace) the case can separate near the extraction groove. Again a bad thing. However, if the reloader stays within the pressure limits of a medium load, and full length resizes, there should be no problem.

My two cents.

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, I stand corrected, but I will say that former Marines, and Army personnel like I was, have noticed a slightly different shoulder length, but I will stand corrected, and will humbly apologize, Thank You

<Eric>
posted
C.C.

Hope my "personal" helps you out. No reason to apologize buddy, we're all in this togather. [Wink]

with respect,

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eric, COOL, just checked out the personal, got there first, understood! E-5 Cledus out!