New
Find
Notify
Tools

Little help w/ SMLE No.4 Mk.1
 Login/Join

<KBGuns>
posted
My dad has a SMLE No.4 Mk.1 of which the rear sight was broken. It had the ghost-ring but not the range adjustable peep sight. We got a new sight from Numrich. Now I gotta change them out. I am not exactly sure how to get the sight off the reciever. I must remove the pivot pin to get the old sight off and new sight one. On the right side the pin has a screw head, on the left the pin is cross drilled and has a smaller pin through a hole, and that smaller pin is in a grove on the reciever.

My question; Is that pin two pieces which I unscrew from the right side? Right or left hand threads? -or- Is it a single pin through the sight and the screw head just to aling the pin on the left side. which must be driven out to take the sight off?

Thanks in advance,
Kristofer

[ 06-08-2003, 01:05: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The "screw" that the rear sight pivots on is not a screw. Driving out the lock pin from the rear sight hinge pin allows the hinge pin to be driven out to the right. It will need only easy taps. CAUTION-notice the spring-loaded plunger under the right side of the sight, don't let it fly away as the hinge pin comes out and the sight is then free. Hope this helps, curmudgeon

Posts: 99 | Location: Livermore, CA, USA | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Curmudgeon, I've been called one of those.
Don't forget the plunger that sits on top of the spring that is going to jump out when you take the pin out. If you're not careful that is. [Big Grin]

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Thanks guys.

Now I just have to get a timy punch for that pin.

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have one of those natty little screwdriver sets with both philips head and flat drivers the small PH shold be the ticket.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
I cut the head off of one of those electronics screw drivers. The ones with the thin metal bodies and the caps that spin for some unknown reason. It worked just fine, and the site is changed out.

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want the correct tool, look into Harbor Freight online or if you have a store near you. A complete punch set down to the itty bitties for $5. I've been using mine for about a year and a half, all the time in my job as an airplane mechanic, and they've held up pretty well. I did manage to break a tip off a tiny punch, but I was really misusing it!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
I have them. They are safe in Arizona, while I am in Oregon at the moment.