Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

<Charliebuck>
posted
I just aquired a 1903 from the Rockisland arsenal from a family member. I really didn't know much about it, and have found through some preliminary research that it's a pretty good ol' rifle to have.

Is there a site that I could go to to learn more about this particular gun? I would also like to find out how to date this rifle. Can I use the serial number, or are there any other markings that will tell me. Thanks ahead for any input.

<RickMD>
posted
Go to www.oldguns.net. You can date your 1903 RIA there and yes, it's dated by it's SN.

<.>
posted
What I hear is that the older '03's aren't heat treated to manage modern ammo. That's what I hear.

<RickMD>
posted
All RIA 1903 actions over serial number 285,507 were properly heat treated and are safe with any modern cartridge. SN's below that can be a bit brittle and are best used only for cartrridges with modest pressures if at all.

With Springfield 1903 actions the move to double heat treatment began with approximately serial number 800,000. Any of those with 800,000+ numbers are also adequate for any modern cartridge.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
Go to www.jouster.com
Scroll to 1903 Springfield.Someone there will answer any question you may have.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
I missed out on a Springfield with Pederson device by about ten minutes at a gun show. Got back to the table just in time to kiss it goodbye. I needed to check with a 1903 collector at the show about the integrity of this piece. The buyer had just finished talking to him . . . I'm like 100 steps behind on this purchase.

But, I ended up with a nice 1942 Springfield Garand, pretty much reworked/accurized. So, not a complete loss . . . We can't own them all.

(But I DID get the 1900 American Eagle Luger!)

<eldeguello>
posted
So-called "low-number" Springfields, which are definitely not recommended to be fired with modern ammo, were "single-heat treated". The problem is that when they were heated, then quenched to make them hard, the heat temperature was judged by eye, based on COLOR, so some of them were gotten TOO HOT before they were quenched. This made them brittle, some so brittle that a hammer blow would shatter the receiver like glass!! According to my Hatcher's Notebook, all Springfield Armory M1903's under SN 800,000 are suspect, as are all '03's made at Rock Island under SN 285,507!!