New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope mount for smle # 4
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can someone please steer me in the right direction. I recall reading about a scope mount that requires no drilling and is supposed to be very good, but all my searches have been in vain.
thanks
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick,
You're the man!
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
wow. those are nice, but a little pricey. try numrich's. they have one in their catalouge (mine's a couple of years old) for like 25 or 30 dollars, US. good luck!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i had one of these mounts on a No.4 MK.1 and it was terrible. the problem is that it attaches to where the rear sight is removed from. this puts the scope very far toward the butt of the rifle. combine this with the notoriously short length of pull on a lot of Enfileds and it makes for a very uncomfortable exercise in getting your head far enough away from the scope to see properly. the answer seems pretty simple.......extend the mount further forward. since it cantilevers anyway, why not make it cantilever more and get the scope another inch forward.. personally i wouldn't waste the money unless you are really into shooting with your cheek up off of the stock and your head held back.

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw this pic years ago on the 303 web site, and made my own.
I have also bought an S&K.

It is less work to buy the S&K, despite how easy it looks to hack saw and file on angel iron. The hard part is drilling and tapping holes and getting the holes to line up.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
you made one like on 303british.com? cool. nice website, isn't it?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote