Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr or Hungaran M95 straight-pull in 8x57 Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I know the Germans ended up with a bunch of these shortly after they took over Austria in WW-Dos.

Anyone know of a good source for one of them today?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm not the foremost expert on these, but I'm not aware that any were chambered in 8 x 57 Mauser. I would think that the 8 x 57 Mauser cartridge would be waaaaaay too hot for the straight-pull action.

I believe that they were originally chambered for the 8 x 50 mm Rimmed Hungarian cartridge, but were later rechambered for the 8 x 56 mm Rimmed Hungarian cartridge. The latter chambering is what is most common on the surplus market.

IIRC the Germans manufactured a bunch of 8 x 56R ammo for them and issued them to local police units. 1938-dated German ammo used to be pretty plentiful on the surplus market.

Ralph

Posts: 3 | Location: No. Texas | Registered: 29 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
your probably refering to the model 98/40

A redesigned Hungarian Model 35, for German use, the calibre was changed from 8 mm to 7.92 mm. A staggered row Mauser type box magazine, flush with the stock, was fitted and German type bands and bayonet lug were used on this rifle, designated model 98/40 by the Germans. Apart from the magazine, it is similar to the Mannlicher-Schoenauer turn bolt and was made in Hungary under Nazi control in 1940.

http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/rifles/armagm.htm

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The 8x57 version of the M95 is called the M95M. While the regular M95 is chambered in 8x56R. The 8x56R has a bore diameter o.329 while the 8x57 version is the standard .323. The main difference between the two versions is the bottom metal and feeding. The 95 uses a 5rd en-bloc clip that drops through the bottom of the magazine after the last shot. The M95M has a closed off magazine and is loaded via 5 rd stripper clips through the top. There is also a different bolt head and extractor used on the M95M due to the different rim diameter. The M95M also uses a traditional Mauser type sights and barrel. Where the M95 uses a short ladder sight.

I have both the M95 Carbine and the M95M rifle. The 8x56R is one evil kicking little monster in the carbine, but it still is a lot of fun. The M95M is a lot more edate in the recoil area.

I have to say good luck in finding a M95M. Iwas fortunate to find mine at a gun show a few years ago. But it is the onl one I have sen to this day.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with M1 he let me shoot his M95 while it kicked it was a fun rifle to shoot I forget how many rounds I put down the barrel but is fun. But damn it did kick.

John

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I too have one of the 8x56 carbines. Mine is virtually new with mint bore, wood, and blue, and has the original bayonet with it. I never have fired it yet. Bought it because the seller didn't know the cartridge for which it was chambered, so I took a chance, hoping it was the M95M. Unforunately it wasn't, but it is in too good shape to just discard.

There is a 7.92 M95M for sale at the moment on Auction Arms, but it has a bunch of incorrect/replacement parts on it. I do not like to buy through on-line auctions either. Hope to eventually find one through a bona fide dealer somewhere.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I looked at the one on AA and I cant see what you are talking about as far as the incorect parts. It looks exactly like mine, but rougher condition. You have to remember that the M95M used a combination of Mauser and M95 parts. On the M95M the barrel, rear barrel band, sights, and upper handguards came from the Mauser and are therefore correct on that rifle.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your comments Tanker -

It is my understanding that though many of the rifles taken over by the Germans were a combo of Mannlicher-style and Mauser parts, that at least some of them were/are not.

It is also my understanding that not all of them WERE taken by the Germans, but that some were instead used to arm Hungarian troop units fighting on the eastern front as German allies...while avoiding the potential munitions supply problem of having both 8x56 and 8x57 ammo to provide to separate units. Of course, as things got worse, I'm sure the Germans would have used any ammo and any help they could get.

Too bad that so much of our info these days is anecdotal.... I'm sure even most of the people who were actually "there" seldom had the entire big picture. Leaves folks like me just hoping to get a "feel" for it, but always unable to say "This is how it was!"