Find
Notify
Tools

AN-94
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello All,
Below is an extract from an article I found regarding what may be the new battle rifle for the Russian Army, or what's left of it. Is anyone aware of where, or if, a civilian version of this rifle is available?

" AN-94 was designed by Nokonov and manufactured by ZNIITochMash. Abakan is fundamentally different in its design from the Kalashnikov rifles and can fire at 1800 rpm. It is still in 5.45mm, but in the future it can be 6 mm. It does not fire 1800 rpm regularly. Regularly it fires 600 rpm. But if 2 shots burst is selected, it fires 2 shots burst at 1800 rpm. By the way the speed is regulated automatically, by rifle's designed. The other new future is the something called assymetric recoil(?). During this 2 shots burst, you feel only single recoil from the 2 shots COMBINED, not from the each shot. It does allow exelent accuracy with 2 shots burst. Both bullets virtually hit a target only a couple cm away from each other. Overall rifle would be MORE accurate than M-16A2, even Russians admit that 5.45 mm round is less accurate than 5.56 mm."

I had read that this rifle would be available in the 7.62x54R cartidge but haven't been able to verify this. A 'civilian' version may not be worthwhile as the inherent accuracy seems to be due to the dual gas/reciprocating barrel operating system that comes into play during the 2 shot burst moded. Whether or not this system aids accuracy during semi-automatic fire is not clear. Any info regarding this rifle and it's availability would be appreciated.

Thanks,
XWind

[ 05-26-2003, 14:39: Message edited by: XWind ]

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Don't know much about it but it was covered in some detail recently on the History channel in an article about Russian small arms. This piece is both blow back and gas operated and I believe they said it fires two rounds with each pull of the trigger. The barrel recoils much like the old Johnson rifle did and this is supposed to lessen the felt recoil. The story made the point that the rifle is superior to anything the Russians have but not likely they will adopt it as they have no money. Supposedly they are trying to sell it to other countries but did not state who or if anyone has bought any of them.
There is a website that deals with the AN94 at: http://arms.host.sk/firearms/abakan.htm
Hope some of this helps.
Best regards,

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
The "American Rifleman" did a pretty extensive article on the AN-94 a year or so ago. I can't look it up as I packed up all my magazine collection last year and took it to my local library. [Frown]

I remember though that it is supposed to be some fine piece of machinery, though the jury is still out as to absolute reliability, as it is with all military weapons. Nothing is 100% all the time.

As Trapper mentioned, it was supposed to replace the AK-74 series in the Russian military, however the cost of several hundred thousand rifles is sort of prohibitive at present.

The link that Jiri posted is about the best information available and surpasses the article I mentioned in the American Rifleman.

Regards,

Eric

[Wink]

<'Trapper'>
posted
After rereading this line of post & replies I am thinking that I read somewhere the Soviets were less than happy with their subcaliber round, the 5.54X39MM and had done some work on a variant that would be some type of 6x39MM - same basic case but now with a 6MM bullet. Anyone else recall this or have any knowledge of such an animal? I know that the 223 case has been "popped" out to both 6MM and .308 - and probably others.
The 6x39MM might be an interesting varmit.
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
They might not have the money to replace all AK's but you bet their special forces have them.
I have never heard from any source that they will be imported into North America, I wouldn't count on our governments to suddenly lighten up and give us some clean, "blowback shifted pulse" fun.

The 1800rpm mode is activated not only in the burst mode, but in full-auto mode as well :

The rifle will fire at 1800rpm for 2 shots, pause a little, then start 600rpm cycle in full-automatic fire, it is designed so soldiers can keep the fire selector lever at full-auto but can still manage to squeeze out 2 quickies by releasing the trigger during the short pause.

Very interesting rifle, I have read articles in 2 issues of Small Arms Review, one of which contain all info/images of the 12 prototypes built during developement...it started life as a BULLPUP!!

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek:

I belive in full auto it fire two at 1800 rpm, then pause, than another two in 1800 rpm, then pause and final it is 600 rpm average, this is what I understand, is it true ?

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri,

What I read is that the rifle fire 2 rounds at 1800rpm, pause a little, then start 600rpm.

Pyrotek

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote