New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with a 1903 Springfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 1903 Springfield rifle, SN 1,464,XXX. I believe that the rifle is complete and original in all its parts. It had been stored improperly and there are several places where rust/corrosion have left the exterior pitted. The barrel is stamp S A 5-36. The bore does have some rifling left and it is pretty dark. My Wife and Sister-in-Law bought this for me 30 or so years ago. The barrel had been plugged by a mud wasp near the muzzle and the seller believed it had been de-milled and to be a "wall hanger". I cleaned it and removed the rust and even fired it once (with a long string) I have considered reboring the barrel to another caliber but my deer/elk/moose/buffalo requirements are covered and I like the idea of owning another example of U S Military arms. My questions are (1) can the pits be filled and restored properly?, (2) can the stock be refinished/restored to near service condition?, (3) can the entire rifle be blued or parkerized (whatever is correct) to near an as issued state and finally, is the rifle more valuable in its current condition or as restored? Thanks for any advise on this issue. I can email pictures but I am challanged in my ability to posr here. I even have difficulty getting pictures out of my phone into my laptop, much less posting them here.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest having a new 03 barrel fitted to it. Criterion is currently out of stock, but I’m sure other NOS barrels can be found.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 947 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All it takes is time, and $s.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You easily spend more on fixing this one up then buying a good one to began with.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would hang it on the wall and tell war stories. And, shoot it now and then.

Posts: 707 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would have to see it first; But as stated, a sporterized Springfield is worth half what it costs to build, whereas a nice original one is worth far more. One good thing is that a 1.4 million 03 is a nickel steel one; soft but tough.
So, can it be restored? Definite answer is maybe; I need to see it first. Don't do anything to it until someone who knows restorations looks at it. Oh, that barrel date is original. I restore many military rifles, and vehicles too.
If you have a Mac, the pictures automatically come in. You can't post pics to AR; you first have to have an Imgur account. Free. Easy.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. It's time to think this one over.

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rebore to 35 whelen.

Preserves originality, no mod to receiver, just the barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just another project, and a good one if your so inclined, it can be a wortwhile project..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you qualify to buy from the Civilian Marksmanship Program, they have a replacement barrel by Criterion that it parkerized to match the original.

https://estore.thecmp.org/Catalog/Item/065CRI/03

John Richardson
No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
Http://onlygunsandmoney.com

Posts: 67 | Location: Asheville, NC  | Registered: 21 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Pits in several places" Where are those places? If only the barrel, the post of a replcement barrel should be explored.

Of course you can buy a rifle for less than cost of restoration...You can also buy a Glock for less than a Fine Luger. Not the point!

..if deep pits are on the action.., they can be welded. and with the knowlegable gun smith can be restored like new.

Just depends on your goal..and budget.

Posts: 3461 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote