Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinions, M1 Garand VS M1A
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted
I have wanted a Garand for quite some time, but never could really swing the price. Now that I am sort of in the market, the prices have been headed up, and getting one with good wood, new barrel, op rod etc. It appears I can get a SA M1A for close to the same price. Any advice, or suggestions would be appreciated, as I really want to own a piece of history.

Thanks

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the SA, Inc. Garand is a sand cast aftermarket reciever. the rifles are good, the warranty is excellent, but the value is not so good to me. the historic value is not great, either.

get a CMP select, with a new barrel, USGI receiver, new wood, etc., for the same-ish money. a much better deal with much more value IMHO. if you want more historic value, get a service grade or two. all GI, the real deal, and this may be the last batch we see.

www.odcmp.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are a NRA member and a gun club member contact CMP and pick up the least expensive M-1 you can get. Here's my story.

In my gun club we shoot vintage military rifle matches. The rifle must be stock which ruled you my two match M-1's. I ordered a "woodless Dane (re-imported from Demark without stock or handguards). I was hoping for the best but expecting the worse. Well, I got the worse! All the metal for the stock was present, but alas, the tool marks were worse than last ditch Japanese rifles and finish, what finish? The barrel was useless. I dropped a .30 projectile down the muzzle and heard it stop about 3" down the bore. As I recall I paid $300 for it.

Next I sent it back to Springfield Inc. after calling them with my sad tale. They gave me a work order number and I shipped them the rifle with their promise to get it back to me in 3-4 weeks. Yeah, right, I thought. Well 3 weeks and 1 day later I received what looked like a arsenal new rifle. They fitted it with a new barrel, re-parkerized the rifle, smoothed and adjusted trigger to 4.5 lbs, and completed a safety check, all for $274. I put it in a Boyd's stock for $99.

So for $673 I have what looks like a brand new issued M-1 Garand that shoots ball ammo in 2" groups at 100 yds. and handloads go 1". I don't know how they smoothed off the tool marks but like I said the rifle is absolutely beautiful. Good luck.

Swift, Silent, & Friendly

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Get one of each! If you really, really want it you will make it happen. He a decent garand and enjoy shooting it. Good sights, good weight forward, great reliability.

SA M-1 AI is a solid performer. Utterly reliable and the detachable mag is a big leap forward.

If you can only have one....go with the M1A1. Don't try to mount a scope on it as you will end up turkey necking about three inches off the comb to make that happen (absolutely no cheek weld.) The scout versions help that a little buy getting the scope lower to the bore.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the M1A over the M1 and I dearly love the M1.

If history is the deciding factor get the M1.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Well, fate (ODCMP) made up my mind for me!

They started taking orders on Monday for a "special" M1 Garand. With a limited run of 1,000 I hope I get one!

They have a new stock, new barrel, new leather sling, and are refinished to a matching color.
Now the agonizing wait! I went ahead and ordered 1,000 Lake City M2 Ball, so I'm commited to the Garand.

I'm sure I'll have questions in the future on the care and feeding of my new baby.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
AHH, on a side note....COOL, you have got to learn to say what's on your mind! Quit beating around the bush, and spit it out! Don't sugar coat it, just say what you feel!

I am of a similar opinion of the individual mentioned in your post.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both. I very much like both. I must admit I love the early SA NM M1A.

You will enjoy the M1!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned a few SA M1A NM and some WW2 era M1s. I hesitated to buy a recent commercial SA M1 in .308 or 30.06, any input? TIA

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The M1 is a great rifle, and the M14 (M1A) is an IMPROVED M1. I used both while on active duty, and found that the M14 was much easier to carry and faster to get into action. Its' 20-round magazine was also a great leap forward!

When the Army replaced the M1 with the M14, they found that the average scores fired on KD (known-distance) rifle ranges by the troops went up about 20% over those fired with the M1 over the same course of fire. (200 yd offhand, 300 yd sitting, and 500 yd prone).

IMO, the M1A is a better rifle than the M1.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Well, they may have sold out of these "special" Garands, so I may have to start searching all over again.

One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
I bought a Springfield M1 from the ODCMP the other year. It was a "Greek import." The stock had a bad crack, so they sent me a replacement. While the parts are not matching (so what, I want'ed a shooter, not a closet Queen) they appear to meet gauge. I refinished the stock and cold blued the wear spots.

I am a happy camper, it is a swell rifle.

I've never been happy with John Garand's 8 round en-block clip, but it still works to perfection. And really, if you need more than eight rounds either you got into more trouble than you should have, or you can't shoot.

I've had both the M-1 and the M1-A and both are supberb rifles. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Regards,

Eric

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I may have lucked out. According to a response from the Operations Director, if the order was mailed before they posted "sold out" you should get one.

I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I think I would take a M1 over a M1A. Something about the "ping" when you are empty Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that "PING" is pretty cool!! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a CMP M1 and do some interesting things like sending it to Dean's for refinishing and a new stock or Fulton Armory and getting s new Kreiger barrel etc.

What history is behind the M1A/M14 ??

Ask Bob!!

Brooks

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, I have never owned an M1A, but the M1 that I have is addictive, accurate, fun, and the "ping" is just music to my ears. I would recommend buying the M1 anyday. I am sincerely biased and proud of it. thumb

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a nostalgic/historical piece, I'd get the Garand. On the other hand, if you ant a MUCH more accurate rifle, whch is still developing its batle history, then go with the M-1A.

Uncle Sam gave me the privilege of carrying the M-1 Garand for about 5 years, and I have owned 3 more since then...including now. So, I DO like the Garand for memories of days past, and for fun plinking.

But, then, I also owned an AAMU produced M1-A (an M-14, acrually) which was easily capable of shooting high master scores. I've never seen a Garand I feel would do that reliably. So, for accuracy, I don't think the Garand is in the same ball park with the M1-A.

Likewise though I will very probably never have to use one thus, if I HAD to use either in homeland defense again, I wouldn't even consider the Garand if I could get an M1-A instead. Lots of advantages....20 rounds between reloads; lighter ammo so you can carry more of it; no "ping"to give away your exact position or ammo situation; shorter overall length for handier manipulation; a flash hider and smaller fire "plume" for easier concealment, etc. etc.

The Garand does have an advantage or two in H-2-H bayonette use...but I KNOW I'm not going there in my future....

Either one is a barrel of kicks. Just buy one now and the other in a couple of years, I'd say......

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote