New
Find
Notify
Tools

1946 Officer's Model Walther P38
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know anything about these and what the approximate value could be. Not wanting to sell the gun, just wondering. My grandfather's brother took it from a dead German Officer during WWII, then gave it to my grandfather. My grandfather then gave it to his first born grandson, my older brother unfortunately. I'm hoping to aquire this piece in the near future due to my brother not liking guns fortunately, for me anyways. The gun is in good shape with no rust and has the original holster. Not sure about markings right now, not even sure what to look for. My father is the one who told me the year and model, he should know what he is talking about. Any help would be appreciated.

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Well, one thing he got wrong is that it is NOT a 1946. That assumes that he actually took it from an officer in the war. The war in Europe ended May 1945.

If it is 1946, it was made by the French (I think) who took over a couple of plants and made the pistols for themselves.

You really need to look at or better yet digitally photograph all markings. When doing this assume that every marking is important.

Good luck with your brother, I know how this works...

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The French DID (Manurhin) put some Walthers together after WWII. I know they did some PP's and PPK's. Probably some P-38's also, using parts "liberated" in Germany. [Big Grin]

[ 12-17-2002, 20:19: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

<.>
posted
Gun and holster together would be very collectable, particularly if you have the "provenance" . . . which you seem to have.

Provenance is the story of how the gun came to be yours or your families. If you know where the gun was "captured" and any other details, that would be important to the documentation of the piece.

You're looking at the piece, in one instance for precisely what it is, a German Walther. But then there's the provenance of it's being a German Officer piece, with the holster and that your grandfather's brother brought it home from the field.

Now, innacuracies abound in these stories. Some will claim it was 1946 and at the Battle of the Bulge when in fact it was 1946 and the gun was taken from a German Officer in occupied, post-war Germany. Helps to ask a lot of questions and get as many versions of the story as possible.

Then, record the versions, all of them and keep them with the piece.

I wish my guns could talk, but their stories are lost forever. Damn! If your's has a story, it's worth as much as the gun and greatly increases the value of the piece.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I got ahold of my father and found aout that I was wrong on the year, sorry. It is in fact a 1941 model, it is stamped AC41. He says that there is a whole bunch of markings, so I will go and take a look and record them. I'm hoping that a digital camera will come my way for Christmas, and then I will be able to post some pictures. Sorry, about the wrong information.

[ 12-18-2002, 00:10: Message edited by: knightkrawler00 ]

Posts: 121 | Location: Prosser, WA | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
You have nothing to be sorry about. You should get the full story from Dad before you post back (we'll be looking for it). That with the markings will eliminate speculation. Also, if he has his authorization to bring it back as a war trophy, that will up the price more than even a sworn statement. However, with that and a sworn statement and story of how he captured the piece, plus accessories, you have quite an object there.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your actual question regarding value, go over to auctionarms.com and do a search on P-38s. Be sure you check the completed auctions. The prices range from $300 to $1200. Sometimes more, rarely less. This isn't anything like an actual appraisal but it'll give you a rough idea. BTW, someone had an AC40 up for sale with an$1100 bid and it didn't reach the reserve.

With regards to provenance, be advised that it's only taken into consideration when it's documented. A collector will want written proof like capture papers. Dad's word alone probably won't do it. I don't mean any disrespect by that, it's just that some collectors can get real anal about proving claimed ancestry. Especially since there has been a significant import of P-38's over the last year or so.

I've got a BYF44 P-38, and I think it's a great pistol. One belongs in everyone's collection. Depending on the run, your AC41 was one of the last P-38's made to higher standards of fit and finish. Check out this website for a little info on your pistol Unofficial Walther website . Once there, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Rare and Lesser Known Walthers .
Enjoy your pistol and please let us see some pics when you get that camera!!

Posts: 240 | Location: Downers Grove, Illinois | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote