New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use Blue Wonder gun blue yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a fairly new product and the reviews are terrific. I have a half dozen older military rifles I refinished as winter projects. I've never been entirely satisfied with the blue performance I get. It's often streaky or blotchy. I looked at a film on their website and was impressed. At 29.00 a kit (from Sinclair) it isn't cheap so I'd like to get some opinions from shooters who have used it. Thanks and best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've done one rifle barrel with it (c. 1875 single shot) and was really impressed, I bought mine at a gun show a couple of years ago but can't remember the price. It was my first try at blueing and given my general lack of talent for things like that it was very easy to work with. If you didn't like the way it looked just wipe it down with cleaner and put another coat on. I used a hair dryer for the heat and although a little slow it worked great.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried it for a touch-up job on a 1100 receiver. Could of done a better job with a magic marker.
Save your money.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used it a couple of times. I was not impressed with the first attempt on an old Savage .22 barrel and receiver. The second was on a Hungarian 44 where I removed the bayonet lug. You can't tell it from the arsenal blue. The difference was that the metal was HOT! on the 44. Too hot to touch. I'm going to redo the Savage.
Good luck and God Bless,
Randall in Houston

Posts: 9 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
Cal, I haven't tried that bluing product, but usually if you get streaks or blotches it is because of oil not cleaned off the metal. All the oil has to be removed, and it helps if the metal is warm to hot.
Birchwood Casey cold blue works well, and Oxpho Blue has a gel that is a lot easier to use- no runs. The Birchwood Casey has 2 formulas for different levels and color of bluing.
If you do try this new stuff post how it does.
Jim

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I have usualy had pretty good luck with various "cold blues" over the years as far as color, and I always tried to use some sort of heat source. Hot water is one of the "tricks" I have used, rinsing in very hot tap water and applying the "cold blue" while the metal was still hot, sometimes so hot that it had to be handled with potholders.

The problem I have always had has not been the quality of the finish as much as durability.

Is the "blue" finish acheived with this product supposed to be more durable?

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
If you think you may be doing more than one or two reblues a year there is an alternative to cold blue.
Build a rust blue box. It's cheap and leaves a very durable, very pretty blue finish. I blows cold blue away.
I traded for a Swede M38 that had a new stock. The other guy asked if I wanted the metal refinished. He rust blued it, and it looks like a new rifle. It takes more time than cold blue, which is more or less instant, nut it is a much better finish.
If you want more info I'll dig up a link to an article on it.
On our C&R Forum we have thrashed a lot of subjects on refinishing metal, stocks, etc. on these old rifles. The only better blue treatment than rust blue is hot bluing, which is expensive.
Later,
Jim

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...The problem I have always had has not been the quality of the finish as much as durability.

I blued a muzzle-loader barrel on a match rifle years ago with Oxpho-blue. After the bluing was done, I gave it several heavy coats of Butcher's wax (a good quality paste wax). After much use, handling and cleaning, it was still perfect except around the nipple where the flash had burned the bluing off and on the face of the muzzle where the ball starter always struck. I did take care not to use solvent-based cleaners on the outside of the barrel.

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote