Find
Notify
Tools

M96 Swedish Mauser 6,5x55 SE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted
I just acquired this beauty. Anno 1901 with not a scratch, looks unfired, with all parts numbered.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So that is what my gun use to look like.
Very nice find sir. May I ask how you came about it?

Posts: 316 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
In July, I bought a good looking US1903A3 from an importer catering to collectors.

I was so enthused with the sub-MOA accuracy of that rifle (with issue iron sights !) that I longed for more and went back, hoping to find a P17 in the same condition. While I was evaluating the available Enflields, my eye caught what appeared to be the nicest M96 I ever saw. No need to add that we got "married in a fever hotter than a pepper sprout". Here are a few more detailed pics of "Carl" :

Problem is, I'm still without a good P17 and my wife's on my back asking stupid questions like '...why do you need all those guns for ?". Go figure,...

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought that " SE " was a recent appelation when the Swdes and Norwegians finally agreed on dimensions ?? Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
No they agreed on 6,5x55 SKAN, a 6,5x55 SE loaded to higher pressures destined for modern rifles and NOT to be shot in older M96's

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's without doubt the finest condition Swede I've ever seen. I own several of them and really like 'em.
They have the best triggers on any military gun ever made IMO.

Congrats on a great example.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle Andre! Last weekend at the range, I was shooting alongside a fellow shooting an M96 with a scope on it. Very accurate at 300yd.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your rifle was refinished one time. The crown stamped in the stock behind the trigger guard indicates this. The Swedes were so good at refinishing their Mauser rifles, that it is difficult to see the difference between original finish and a refinished rifle.

Doug Bowser Author of:

"Neutrality through Marksmansip" (Swedish rifle book)

Competitive shooter

Posts: 75 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 10 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Let alone its good looks, it shoots too. Here's a 10-shot group, shot over military issue sights at 100 meters (true, I went to a higher FS blade to bring it just above POA).

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Andre, congratulations on the wonderful M96 -- and on having access to a 100-meter range. My understanding is these are hard to come by in Belgique.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16411 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
How right you are, Bill. I know of only one 6-lane underground 100 m range around Brussels. There are maybe another 4-5 100 and + open shooting ranges in Belgium. A few are military open to civilians on w-e (most military ranges are not accessible, though, because they are balking at the cost of keeping up with legal safety norms imposed upon civilian installations. The government being its own insurer, the military can (not)do whatever they (dis)like as long as they stay among themselves).

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
Picture of Granatieri
posted Hide Post
Great piece!

I have one bought 20 years ago and it looked unfired as well, great shooter with Norma ammo and handloads @ 300m.