Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help m48 yugo mauser
 Login/Join

posted
got an unissued m48 yugo and cant make it group at all have tried 3types of surp and reloaded some ww brass 150gr bullets and 40 42 45 grains h4895 and get flyers all over removed hand guard and checked barrel to stock clearance seems ok but still wont produce any kind of group how do you check action to stock fit and how do you bed amauser action thanks artr

<257 AI>
posted
Try a little heavier bullet like the 185gr Core lock with IMR 4350 or 4320. My Yugo shoots pretty well, I just need to shoot it more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a lot of Yugos, and they can be very accurate. Or a pain in the butt!

Things to check;
1. muzzle crown
2. mark the locking lugs with a felt tip pen and cycle the bolt to make sure the lugs are contacting evenly.
3. measure chamber, to check the throat length, some are LONG!!! You may need to seat the bullet farther out.Usually the ones that only group heavy bullets have long throats.
4. Some won't shoot without some forearm pressure, wrap a piece of felt around the barrel about 3" back from the front barrel band.Try a few rounds then move the felt up and down the barrel, looking for the "sweet spot".
5.make sure the rear action screw is seating on the pillar, they are very sensitive to this problem.

Generally, one or more of the above will cure the problem. I currently have 10 Yugos that will shoot surplus under 2" at 100yds. and a couple that are 1" groupers with the right ammo.

[ 06-12-2003, 07:19: Message edited by: TERRY8mm ]

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with my M 48. I reload the 185gr. Core-lokt, and it's a thumper. If it weren't in such good shape I'd drill and tap it turning it into a scout rifle.

My load is:
1)LC '68 brass
2)185gr. R-P Core-lokt
3)49.5gr. IMR 4895
4)WLR primer
5)COL:3.010"

packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post
I recently acquired a "new" M48 and a used M24/47. The first load I tried gave really decent 100 yard groups in both rifles:

1) New Remington brass
2) 45.0 grains of IMR 4064
3) 170 grain Speer SemiSpitzer
4) CCI 200 primer
5) C.O.A.L. 2.9"

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
Packrat:

A few months ago in either Rifle or Handloader magazine their was a new product article on a scout-scope mount that went in the rear sight assembly. If memory serves, this was a no-gunsmithing type of mount. Sorry I can't find the name of the company for you as I'm currently "imbedded" in Baghdad.

Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool, thanx Ben
packrat

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
B-Square

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote