New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help, WW2 era German sidearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A fellow described to me today a pistol, WW2 bringback, taken from a German officer in Italy.

The man used the name "Sahr" for the pistol, said the barrel tipped down (?).

Any ideas? Nothing about it sounded familiar to me.

Thanks.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tincan, could that be a "Sauer" like HG Sauer Model 38H?

If it IS a Sauer 38H, your friend might be interested in this article on the Sauer 38H.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that was what he really meant, but I don't know one Sauer from another, so thanks for this, and the info, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another german officer dispossed of his sidearm..

The 38H has no tipping barrel. In fact, I don't remember a Sauer und Sohn with a tipping barrel.
Most of the .32 or .380 have fixed barrel.
Could it be a captured GP 35 aka FN Hi Power pistol, a Radom VIS 35 or a French made PA 35 A?

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it be a captured GP 35 aka FN Hi Power pistol, a Radom VIS 35 or a French made PA 35 A?

Edmond, this man is up in years, I think probably it's a Sauer, because that kind of sounds like "sahr", and the 38H is also marked "Suhl", which puts the "H" in "sahr" in the right place, and shares the same first letter "S".

Detective work Smiler

I'm willing to bet the barrel doesn't tip, either. Smiler Smiler

It's a shame I can't get a look at it.

BTW, why are Radom pistols so expensive these days? I saw some advertised for 1,900 dollars.

And thank you kindly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Because you don't see many, I shot only two in all these years and one was in Poland. Check the prices of French made surplus firearms, they will go high in coming years, there won't be no more..

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I'll refer to greater knowledge here but the ONLY possibility that comes to mind here would be the Dreyse Pistol Model 1907 - the whole slide tipped. not jut the barrel, IIRC. I've never fired one of these beasties, in fact, I recall having seen and handled exactly one. How about it, Edmond, what can you tell us re this piece - WWI era from Austria, again IIRC?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post