Find
Notify
Tools

Put on your thinking cap.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
What caliber has killed more humans than any other?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8x57.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Who did the count? jumping

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7.62X54

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a clue.

I heard and read its the .22 but no one has ever given a verifiable answer to this question.

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
22 lr ?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I don't know either. Thats why I asked. I expected Edmond to chime in but he hasn't shown up yet.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
The .303 Br and the 7x57 must have fair tallies behind their names.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my best guess would be the 7.62x39 just because there are so many being used for so long.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
7.62x39mm

Given the worldwide proliferation of Mr. Kalashnikov's infamous AK-47 and its derivatives since the conclusion of WWII, estimated at 100 million rifles produced, I would guess that it would account for the most victims. Consider how many conflicts, large and small, have occurred since 1945. Almost 100% of those included the Kalashnikov on at least one side of the disagreements and many times by all opponents.

67 years with the Kalashnikov and still being produced and utilized worldwide.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As the question asked which caliber and not which cartridge, I'd have to say ".30 caliber".

By common use, that would include the .30-'06 .308, all the 7.5s and 7.62s, the .30 carbine, and Lord knows how many others. In many definitions of .30 caliber, it would also include the 7.35s, 7.65s, the 7.7s, the .303s and probably a great deal more.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A/C wins

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
As the question asked which caliber and not which cartridge, I'd have to say ".30 caliber".

By common use, that would include the .30-'06 .308, all the 7.5s and 7.62s, the .30 carbine, and Lord knows how many others. In many definitions of .30 caliber, it would also include the 7.35s, 7.65s, the 7.7s, the .303s and probably a great deal more.

Scuuus me. I ment Cartridge.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
So, AC doesn't win and most of us knew the OP meant "cartridge" to begin with.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, I win(in my opinion). The 7.62X54 has been killing people since 1891 by the millions. It's been and it is still killing, almost twice as long as the 7.62X39. With WW1, WW2, Russian purges, and Chinese revolution along with plenty of other events, I would think the 7.62X39 has a long way to go to pass the X54. So somebody convince me that the 22, 7.62X39, 303, 8mm, 7mm or ? has killed more people.Best

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Once it's determined which cartridge has killed the most, can we nominate that cartridge as the most effective birth control.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote