New
Find
Notify
Tools

M98 Mauser Identification
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The wife came home from her Saturday morning yards sales with a M98 Mauser. There are two interlocking diamonds on the receiver ring with the numbers 24-4 below the diamonds. There is a floor plate (not hinged) release inside the trigger guard. Any idea of what I have.

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chinese Model 1907. Originally in a 6.8mm experimental caliber and 7mm, later versions manufactured in 8mm.

Other markings?

Don't divorce that woman.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. No other markings on the metal but "A31" in the barrel channel and inside of the top hand guard. Some other illegible markings in the barrel channel

Posts: 438 | Location: California | Registered: 01 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything on the left side of the receiver, in front of the thumb notch?

Some were manufactured in Germany, some in China- the German versions will have it so stated on the receiver. They were rebarreled/chambered to 8mm due to the Germans needing the rifles for their war effort, WWI. The Chinese followed suit after the war with their version produced by them.

Originally patterned on the commercial Mauser Model 1904.

Two versions- carbine/turned down bolt handle, rifle/straight bolt handle.

quote:
No other markings on the metal

By that, I imagine you have one produced in China- but I'm no expert, I got the above info from Ball's, "Mauser Military Rifles of the World".

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an 8mm and I don't think we will be taking it to "The Antiques Road Show". It's pretty crude. I'll still give her an A for effort.