Find
Notify
Tools

Smith Corona 03-A3 value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted
I just recieved an 03-A3 made by Smith Corona as a Christmas gift. Accroding to research I have done on the net, it was manufactured in Aug of 42(?). It has been fired, Very Good condition. It has the straight stock (no pistol grip).

For insurance purposes, I was wondering if anyone here has a "ball park" idea of the value of this gun?

I would never consider selling it, as it is an heirloom.

Any shared insight would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without seeing it & assuming it has the a 4 groove bbl as mine does & condition & originality being everything $750
is about what comes to mind but don't qouate me as I haven't been following them lately, but last time I thought about selling mine thats about what I figured it was worth then.

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
m4220,

It does in fact have the 4 groove barrel. I guess there were some 2 groove barrels made, but I checked it to be sure. I will post a few pics later for reference.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the listings on Gunbroker for a ballpark figure on current market "values".

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen. I appreciate your willingness to share your ideas and experience.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
And if you have any intentions of converting or 'sporterizing' your 03A3 I sure would like to talk to you about that Smith-Corona stock! Smiler

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:
And if you have any intentions of converting or 'sporterizing' your 03A3 I sure would like to talk to you about that Smith-Corona stock! Smiler

Trapper,

I am sorry, but as you can see from the picture, it would be a sin to sporterize this rifle.

Are the stocks and guards really that hard to find?

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Mike,

congrats!!!
what a super nice christmas gift!

At my age, I never want anything for Christmas...

But I'd sure take that Springfield tho!!!

( I'm not Ebenezer Scrooge in my old age.. I have just decided to look at things a little different than all the commercial hype in today's world... Each Christmas I spend that day, thanking God and Jesus for all the wonderful things that I have to be thankful for and the gifts that they give me the other 364 days of the year... that on the day of traditional giving.. I am so blessed the other 364 days, that I have need of nothing new....

Actually it is a great place to be in life.. and it is a lot less "hype" to endure... I thank God for what I have instead of praying for stuff, I want or need.... because If I need it that bad, I can go out and get it the other 364 days of the year....

So I can feel fulfilled to be able to give to others and watch my son get the things he desires at Christmas... and it makes me proud his list isn't really all that long, or that expensive.. especially for some of the other kids his age we are around....)

So hope you had a Merry Christmas with your family Mike.. and Congrats on a Super Duper Present.. and it being a family aireloom ( sp??) makes that even better...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

Thank you for the kind words.

Unfortunately, my acquistion of this rifle is bittersweet. My grandfather is selling his guns, and that is not a good thing.

He asked me which one I wanted, and so I got the 03A3. I would much rather be in the woods hunting with him while he carried it, as in the past. But age and health are not permitting the pleasures of the past for him. He is not a man that parts with a gun lightly and I suspect the worse.

But for now, I am going to focus on the here and now. I will take it out to the range, shoot a few groups with my reloads, and bring them to him so we can sit and chat about what a damned fine rifle it is.

I think you have the right attitude about Christmas and the New Year, Seafire. The kids sure do enjoy it and deserve it. But the true spirit of the Christmas season is just as you described, reflect upon the past blessings, and decide how I will appreciate God's grace even more in the next year coming.

I trust you, Seafire Jr, and the Boy Scouts had a wonderful trip to the shore? The time you give now is the best gift out there. Toys R Us cannot package that!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the family, Seafire!!

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I just sold my smith corona about 6 months ago.I got $700 for it I believe.Mine had the 6 groove savage barrel,but a rem bolt.It would shoot about 4 inches at 200 yds with handloads matching the original load,so the sights were on. a 150 gr at 2700 fps.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Thank you, jb.

I have been examining and looking up proof marks on this rifle, and have come across one I cannot identify. It is posted in the picture.

From what I have been able to gather, the bolt was made at Springfield Armory during the 1920's (J6 on top of bolt handle), the barrel markings match serial numbers for Smith Corona rifles manufactured between July and August of 1943.

I don't know how useful this information will be for me, but it sure is fun chasing it around! Cool

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and the family, Seafire!!

thanks Mike..

to you and the kids also!!!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote