New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yugo M24/47 or M48?
 Login/Join

<El Viejo>
posted
I am looking for a surplus Mauser for my adult son, and have narrowed the choice down to these two rifles. Either one can be bought for about $150 in like new condition. He may wish to sportarize it later.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have handled a few of each -- actually many more of the 48s. Nearly all of the 48's were in good condition, but tended to be a little rough in finish (i.e. tool marks). They shoot nice though. I would favor the 48 with milled bottom metal. Pop a Mojo rear peep sight on and no need to sporterize; although you could easily do it with either one.

Edited:
Just noted that you said BOTH were like new. In that case, maybe I'd get the 24/47, the ones I've seen were better finished. I believe both are intermediate length actions (better double check on that though) so the sporterizing would be about the same.

[ 12-04-2002, 08:23: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
They are indeed both intermediate actions. the 24/47 is much better finished than the M48's. My 24/47 will shoot 2" groups at 100 yds with me shooting and the original mauser sights.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Well, I bought the M-48. This is my first Mauser.
The cleaning rod does not want to come out, is there a trick, or is it just stuck?

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Just in case you didn't know, it unscrews ccw. they can be in kinda tight so use a screwdriver blade in the slot as a cheater.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Thanks, I didn't know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M-48 that's a tack driver, it likes the heavy 198 grs the best, will do under a inch at 100yds.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Question on NRA "excellent" condition.

The M-48 I bought was advertised as such, but it has a fair amount of blueing worn off of the magazine floor plate and around the muzzle. Someone had carved a name in the stock, and it has been partially removed by sanding, before recoat with linseed oil. Serial numbers on bolt, receiver match and are crisp, but the blueing is worn on the crest of arms. The stock has a good deep serial number stamped on it and the bore is bright.

I thought "excellent" ment virtually new, but this is my first surplus firearm.

I purchased this from Wholesale Guns (NY)advertised on the inside flyleaf of Shotgun News.

Comments please.
Thanks.