New
Find
Notify
Tools

a unique 71/84 ... need info/help
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up an Amberg 71/84 that is NOT a rifle....but rather a STUTZEN with full-stock, all numbers match, including the metal end-cap/ring at the muzzle, that is definitely NOT seen on any 71/84 rifle. This gun has NOT been cut down. It is an actual stutzen, although I am unable to find any reference in the WWW on anything but a full-length rifle for the 71/84.
The gun has a mint bore, 99% barrel blue, thin receiver blue, and perfect function. Does anyone know of any reference to such a stutzen model?? Thanks!!!
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alex,

Any way you could post a picture? I do have some info here on '71's in "Alte Scheibewaffen, German Target Arms, 1860-1940, Volume 2". It may be what is refered to as a Wehrmannsbuchse, meaning a defence man's or militiaman's rifle. What is the chambering? Some were converted from the original 11.15x60R to 8.15x46R or 9.5x47R.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
These guns were sporterized, just like '88 and later Mausers. I'm fairly sure that Olson's book shows one done as a half stock carbine.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About a year ago Southern Ohio Guns(IIRC) was selling mauser 71/84 rifles and carbines, seems like the carbines had 19" barrels, both were in 11mm, they had photos of both on their site.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys....I have an answer.....
This was a rifle that has been cut to full-stock carbine length....so expertly as to be incredible. The only tell-tale indicator is that the muzzle has not been crowned....but it is a gorgeous job...with all numbers matching including that on the muzzle end-cap. The bore is mint...the barrel has 99% blue....stock is 95%.....If anyone wants pics for their own info....let me know. THANKS!!!!!....for your input.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote