Find
Notify
Tools

M1D and 1903A4
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Where can a guy find these and what would I expect to pay for them. Not looking for a wall hanger or collector but something to shoot and have fun with. Are there any places that deal in these WWII weapons.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are not a collector you would be far better off building these rather than trying to buy an original.$$$$$$$$$$$!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
The DCM used to sell mint garand D's, complete with scopes and flash hider, for $600.00 or so. Those days are long gone.

You could go to the John Garand match at camp perry and have a chance at winning one.

The CMP will ocassionally auction one off. (odcmp.com) They also have a forum that may be helpful.

I think Sarco has one on their web site for $3500.00.

My granfather had an 03A4 for a while. That was back in the 1950's and he was living in a trench.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
In Viet Nam, I had a chance to test an 03A4 pretty extensively, and I found that that particular one's only advantage over an A3 or an M1 was the scope-it was no more accurate than other GI .30 caliber rifles.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SARCO has an M1D on their site for $2,500.00. It has a Lyman Alaskan scope rather than the M84...the Lyman is actually a better scope.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built one with Numrich Arms parts and a Beretta barrel in 308 (just to be different). It shoots about 2". Cost me for the scope mount and $60 to get a shot out but otherwise nice gun redone. I had the barrel and an old Lyman Alaskan. They are in the $150 range generally on the net.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Marine Corps 1903A1 sniper rifles with the 8x Unertl scopes were tack drivers. The 1903A4’s were so-so in the accuracy department.

I’m building a Marine Corps version right now and just got a nice Kreiger 1903 contoured match grade barrel for it. I also lucked out and found an original unissued C stock to use, and I’ve got a heavy checkered national match 03 Buttplate and the higher/wider USMC #10 front sight and rear sight drift slide to match. The Unertl scope I’m going to use is the exact same scope , just isn’t marked USMC Sniper (don’t want to spend $4 grand just for the scope!)

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I sold my CMP M1D about 5 years ago for $2500. I have no idea what they go for now, but i'm sure it is ridiculous. I sold it because I'm left handed, and the only way I could comfortably shoot it was from the bench.

I also have an 03A4 I got from the CMP. The Weaver 330 scope I have on it leave a lot to be desired by todays standards, but I can still manage 3" gropus with it from the bench.

It will be going up for sale on Gunbroker in the next couple months and the starting price will be $2500 and I expect it to go for closer to 3K.

For me the value has gone too high for me to be comfortable shooting it! I'm afraid to get it dinged up! I would prefer it to go to the home of a more serious collector. I'm just a triggerhappy shooter!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just finished building a 03A4 clone with a Weaver 330, correct mounts, proper bolt etc. Found a "sporterized" RA 03, stripped here, rebarreled with a fresh RA 44 barrel, using a FJA scant grip stock. All parked up she's pretty, shoot without guilt!

Like Frank, my M1D went 5 years ago for the same money.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote