New
Find
Notify
Tools

Triggers & Trigger Pull - Military Surplus
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody here measured the trigger pulls on your military stuff?

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Military triggers are often 8 pounds.
In sporterizing, I do a trigger job to change the force, take up, and over travel.

I change the force to 2 pounds for target or varmint and to 4 pounds for hunting.

Here is a picture from Macfarland's book on cutting and Silver soldering to a Mauser trigger to make a place to drill and tape for a take up adjust ment screw. The force can be controlled by replacing the trigger spring with ball point pen spring and grinding off the rear hump of the trigger. The over travel can be controlled with a piece of nail in the spring coweling or drill and tap the coweling for an over travel adjustment screw.

This 98 Mauser trigger stil has the rear hump, but has both drill and tap proceedures described above:

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swiss K-31's several: 1st stage 1 to 2 lbs, 2nd stage 3 to 4 lbs, 1 Swiss K-11: 1st 2 1/4 lbs, 2nd 3 3/4 lbs, 1 Swede M-96: 1st 2 3/4 lbs, 2nd 4 1/4 lbs. Best-o-Luck

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
I bought "Persian" Mauser barreled action from SAMCO.

After 2 days of cleaning encrusted cosmoline off of it, I found an "unissued" (as in never in a stock) acton. After a little polishing I was able to get the trigger to break cleanly @ 5#

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wilcat junkie, that's good for a 98 type. thumb

I don't have a "good" 98 type action. I have an FR-8 and two M48s and they are in the 6-7# range.

My Turk M38 is 6 3/4#.

My M96 is 4 1/2#. It's the sweetest of my "as issued Mauser type triggers.

The K-31s I have run from 3 3/4# to a shade over 4#. They have the sweetest triggers of any unmodified military rifle I know of! Excellent shooters too!

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I've got an old SMLE that has been converted over to .308.
It's my 'truck gun'.
Short ,sweet and very handy.
After I saw this post,I went and pull gauged it.
It breaks just past 5 1/2 #.

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaMan:
wilcat junkie, that's good for a 98 type. thumb

I got a take off stock from fellow forum member fourtails

I havent shot it yet, but the way the barrel looks (29" long too) it should be a "shooter".

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tnekkcc, I'm considering trying that M. L. McPherson modification you suggested.

I've also been looking at the Dayton Traister at about $35-45. Their GMS model also converts the 96 Swede to "cock-on-open"