New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentine Mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any information on this old mauser would be very appreciated. 1909 Argentine 7.65 cal
any good??
I've been wanting an old mauser for a long time - just cant seem to find a decent one.
Thanks in advance.
[Smile]

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Shootin,

This cartridge is the 7.65x53mm Belgian or 7.65 Argentine. The case is slightly smaller than a .308 but with a very slightly larger bullet. The result is they are ballistic equivalents.

Norma makes loaded ammunition with 180 grainers at 2600fps. My all matching m1909 in the 4 number range will shoot 50 cent pice sized groups at 100 yards off the bench. This is a re-arsenalled rifle.
You can find them on www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com spend the little extra money to get a nice one and you will be proud of it. You will not find the $100 rifles any more. You are looking at $250 if you are very, very lucky and $375-500 will find you a very nice one indeed.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you - [Big Grin]

Posts: 54 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 12 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7.65x53 Mauser has a slightly larger capacity than the .308 Win.

.308 Win.- 54.07 grs. of water

7.65x53 Mauser- 57.11 grs. of water

The Handloaders Manual Of Cartridfe Conversions

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Yes, the 7.65 holds MORE powder than the .308 Win. In addition, in the 1909 with a 29" barrel, it can give ballistics almost as good as a .30/'06 with 22" or 24" barrels. I have found that mine is extremely accurate shooting .308" diameter 200-grain bullets as well as .311" and .314" bullets. It is equaly good with the 200-gr. Nosler Partition and the Sierra 200-gr. PSPBT bullets, and shoots both into the same group @ 100 yards. The DWM-produced 1909's are great rifles!! [Big Grin]

[ 07-24-2003, 18:43: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the early 1891 Argie's, all matching except for the bayonette. A very nice rifle with a gorgeoug tiger striped stock. I like the LONG barreled rifles for their sight radius and accuracy.

Brass can be made from 30.06, though neck thickness can be a problem. I went that route till I was able to score some from a friend at Hornady.

A beautifull piece, in the old style.

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1909 Argentine Mauser is one of the best military rifles out there - I have heard that, for one reason or another, the factory used the commercial Mauser actions - complete with the hinged bottom metal and excellent finish - when they were made. Their actions are often used to build some of the best custom rifles. If you have one that is unaltered, you might want to consider leaving it that way. You have a good one, even if the caliber is a little hard to find.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted

[ 07-25-2003, 20:42: Message edited by: 'Trapper' ]