New
Find
Notify
Tools

EOTECH's For AR's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have an EOTECH halosight on their AR15? How do you like it?

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I almost bought one... over at AR15.com, I don;t think I've ever heard a bad word about them.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eotechs are superb optics.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a first generation Holosight on a 9mm M16 racegun. It has the rising line to a dot and arc reticle.

The weapon is a flat top with a rail extending two thirds of the way down a round aluminum handguard. The barrel is a chunk of Shilen 1" 9mm stock with machined-in compensator.

This combination yields a very easy to shoot, very fast moving sight for a racegun! I like it a lot.

Have also used the holosight on a 40 S&W comp gun based on a single column 1911. Works very well there too.

I use a new style holosight on a compound bow too. Good all the time, but particularly effective at dawn and dusk.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I have the 512 on a .458 SOCOM. I like it a lot. No complaints at all.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I have an EOTECH mounted forward on a SIR sytem forend. I shoot a tactical carbine match once a month with it. This has to be one of the fastest possible setups I know of. I have tried different mounting positions with aimpoints and low powered scopes. The EOTECH is definately the fastest. I highly reccommend.

---Catter [Wink]

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

[ 10-16-2003, 08:23: Message edited by: cold zero ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, i have the eotech 552 w/ n.v.g. on my b.m. all sopmoded out. i.m.h.o. it is the fastest setup out there. i think it is the state of the art. i like the field of view both eyes open affords. this gun makes navy SEALS drool.

cold zero [Wink]

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

With the Eotech, is there enough fine detail in the sight to allow any kind of tight grouping out to 100 yards? I realize this is probably a dumb question since the sight is designed for fast target acquisition and not target work at distance. I am just wondering out loud how it might work on a semi-auto .22 WMR for jackrabbits. I need something to pick those fast running jacks up quickly, but at the same time, it would be nice to have sufficient precision to dump a squirrel at 100 yards too, without having to change sights on the same rifle.

What say you?

Thanks,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son is back in the states for a few weeks and expecting a deployment to the sand box before too long. His last assignment was one that gave him no range time for the last year, so we headed to the range for a little refresh on the shooting skills today.

We took an AR-15 in an M4 configuration (real M4 A4 top with a hard pinned Smiths Enterprises compensator to make the 16" length requirement).

My son does have a slight complicating factor working against him ... he shoots well, but is right handed and left master eyed. While he has learned to adapt to it with handguns, this makes for an interesting challenge with issue rifles.

As the military is allowing folks to bring their own optical sights, we tried fitting an Eotech II with a 1 minute dot scarfed off of one of my race pistols.

The darned thing worked like a champ! He's not having difficulties with the eye dominance problem and he was pounding the A zone of an IPSC target at 50 yards with off hand double taps from port arms ... very, very quickly. He was also able to make several headshot A hits almost as quickly.

I was able to select the area of a 6" bull I wanted to hit when shooting from the bench and was easily able to shoot groups under an inch at 50 ... I expect 2" at 100 would not be difficult.

I'm gonna send the kid with an Eotech 552 ... the NV compatible sight (uses AA batteries and has an 1100 hour battery life when used with NiMH batteries and allows the use of alkaline and lithium AA cells). These things are not inexpensive, but damned they work great and that's an advantage worth whatever it costs!

By the way, Eotech indicates that the SOCOM, Marines, and Army have bought a BUNCH of these things.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put together an AR-15 last year, used a Bushmaster A1 upper with their freefloat forend with the rails. Put the Eotech on the handguard and that's the fastest sight setup I've used to date. If the Eotech would happen to go out, I just drop down to the standard iron's and use them. The A1 style sights are pretty idiot proof and obstruct less of your vision than the A2 when "ignoring" it by looking over or around at the dot sight. (hope that made sense).

Should have seen me at Camp Perry trying out all the pretty sighting systems on vendor row that year. Wink

The Eotech allows for pretty precise shot placement ( I got around 6" groups at 200yds ) using the 1" center dot and you use the outer ring for CQB as it's like a 6" mega dot at room distances.

Mine uses the "N" battery and they last a very long time.

Now I gotta get the M-3 light to go on the side of the rail system...

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent my son an EOTECH 552 for his M4 in Iraq...and he LOVES it.

I played with it a bit before I mailed it off and IMHO this is undoubtedly the best combat sight that has ever come down the pike. I have seen nothing that allows a quicker acquisition of a target and the fact that it is not dependant upon head or eye placement when using makes it even more practical for combat.

It is not a precision target sight though, and if that’s what someone is looking for they would be better served with something else.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Have the Eotech on my issue C8CQB (Canadian version of the m-16/ar-15 series)Very fast sighting system. Allows accurate fire out to 300yards. 100yd groups avg around 2" keep it as dim as possible and you'll find the dot becomes smaller allowing for more accurate long range fire.

Posts: 8 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 26 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I know several guys who have put them on their M4s for use in Iraq. Excellent CQC sight. As stated before, very fast target acquisition, and it doesn't block any of your periferal vision. At the qualification range, almost all the guys shot 40/40.

If I ever get deployed again, I will definitely be buying an eotech. It's a huge improvement over the issued M68 (aimpoint).

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbok:

Well I'm sitting here in Iraq with one on my M16A2, is that close enough? I have it mounted low in front of the handle on a CRTC mount which is adjustable for elevation. I have the iron sights zeroed at 250 meters and the 1 MOA dot sits on top of the front post with regular sight alignment. This puts the dot on at 300 meters for zero. It is extremely accurate used that way (40/40 for qual - really hard to miss). With the large apeture it is very fast and even faster still for CQC when just looking over the top of the rear sight - just put the dot on target and pull the trigger. You can keep both eyes open all the time - basicly a "scout scope" set up. During CQC training in Kuwait I always shot first on the line at command and still had a fist sized group (also the smallest group) in the center of the target after 90 rounds. I bought the sight and base myself prior to deployement and will use it on a couple rifles at home for hunting. Batteries last a long time but I've not run any down in the sight. I always change out just before a mission or at least on a regular bases. I then use those batteries in the CD player until dead. On a flat top (M16A4 or M4 series) the EOHTech can be mounted at the front of the reciever and a AN/PVS14 mounted directly behind it for a really nice night vision set up. Yeah I like it.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Thank you for the verification and THANK YOU for your service.

We'll send the son with the 552.

Go safely!

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gibson:
quote:
Originally posted by jbok:

Well I'm sitting here in Iraq with one on my M16A2, is that close enough? I have it mounted low in front of the handle on a CRTC mount which is adjustable for elevation. I have the iron sights zeroed at 250 meters and the 1 MOA dot sits on top of the front post with regular sight alignment. This puts the dot on at 300 meters for zero. It is extremely accurate used that way (40/40 for qual - really hard to miss). With the large apeture it is very fast and even faster still for CQC when just looking over the top of the rear sight - just put the dot on target and pull the trigger. You can keep both eyes open all the time - basicly a "scout scope" set up. During CQC training in Kuwait I always shot first on the line at command and still had a fist sized group (also the smallest group) in the center of the target after 90 rounds. I bought the sight and base myself prior to deployement and will use it on a couple rifles at home for hunting. Batteries last a long time but I've not run any down in the sight. I always change out just before a mission or at least on a regular bases. I then use those batteries in the CD player until dead. On a flat top (M16A4 or M4 series) the EOHTech can be mounted at the front of the reciever and a AN/PVS14 mounted directly behind it for a really nice night vision set up. Yeah I like it.

Larry Gibson

Hey, Larry!

Welcome, and thank you for your service. My son is in Iraq also (Camp Falcon) and has two months to go before he comes home.

He loves the EOTECH 552 I sent to him, and his observations are the same as yours on the speed and ease of use.

Stay safe and alert my friend, and if you need any gear or some “care packages†drop me a PM with your APO.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Larry!

Welcome, and thank you for your service. My son is in Iraq also (Camp Falcon) and has two months to go before he comes home.

He loves the EOTECH 552 I sent to him, and his observations are the same as yours on the speed and ease of use.

Stay safe and alert my friend, and if you need any gear or some “care packages†drop me a PM with your APO.[/QUOTE]

Rick

Thanks for the thanks. I'm also headed home in two months so I really don't need anything you can mail;-)

mstarling

Tell your son I wish him well. Tell him to pay attention to basic soldier skills, learn everything he can from the training and don't get complacent (sometimes easy for troops to do) over here. When he is a leader, lead! Complete the mission and take care of his soldiers. God bless.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Thanks for the thoughts. He has been an IPSC shooter but at a desk job for the last year or so. I spent a number of weeks loading stuff for him to shoot when he got home. Has spent a lot of time on the range with handguns and a semiauto M4 and auto rifles in 9mm and .223. (I have a registered M16.)

We arranged for him to go the local county sheriff's reactive range under the supervision on their firearms instructor.

The son had been a pistol instructor for the military and his years of practice is coming back well. Leadership is his thing and his folks have always been his first priority.

Parents always worry. Lots of variables that no one can control. We say our prayers for those we know and all of their buds.

Do good and go very safe! Again, thank you for your service. God's Speed.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES! I LOVE IT! get the 512 so you can use AA battery.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mstarling,

My son is due to come home the first week of January, and I swear I have aged 10 years over the last 10 months! Smiler

Having now experienced this war-thing from both sides I can honestly say that it is mentally harder being back here because you feel so damned helpless, and having been in a war you know what is really going on.

The cell phones and emails make it really easy to keep in touch...but it also can be pretty damned scary when you can’t get through on the phone or they don’t answer your emails right off! My son’s Iraqi interpreter answered his cell phone once when I called and I almost had a friggin heart attack when that Arabic voice answered his phone!

My thoughts and prayers go with all of our guys and gals and they are certainly the newest, greatest generation of troops!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an EO-Tech I mounted on my wifes Bushmaster Carbon 15 Model 21S Pistol. It's a nice sight overall and pop cans are history out past 100 yards. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Youngest son has been to the sand pile twice ... once in the first Gulf War and once in the second. First time he wouldn't quite tell me what he did, but I can read between some of them lines. Last time was on the Kitty Hawk. Next time it's likely he'll be on the ground again.

I understand about the waiting. Very difficult.

I doubt I'd have reacted any better than you did to the Arabic speaker answering the cell phone ... my heart would have stopped for sure.

Your small prayers for all or our guys, and especially for your son's safe return.

Mike

--------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike, it is very much appreciated.

My son is a 17 year veteran and this is his 3rd overseas deployment...and hopefully his last because I’m not sure the “old man†could take many more! Smiler