New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which AR Lower Recieiver?
 Login/Join

<NRC>
posted
Trying to decide which lower on which to build my first AR.

dpms ~$240
or
Rock River Arms 'standard' ~270
or
Rock River Arms 'national match' ~350.

Not planning to compete with it, altho I do like a good trigger. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks in advance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt either one of the RRA. I've put together about 20 AR's in the last 3 years for different people. They have been used for competition, varmint etc. I've used bushmaster, dpms, pwa, rra and even a Hesse. The PWA was excellent but can't get them anymore. We also use the RRA DCM rifles for competition and they are SUPER!!!!!!.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<NRC>
posted
Muzzle -

Regarding DCM competitions... Is there a URL that you could refer me to that might outline the basics and also direct me to someone in my area (Portland, OR) who may have information on local matches?

I've been on-again off-again involved in ihmsa and really enjoy the friendly competition aspect of it.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you check on the site http://www.odcmp.com/ as they have a list of 24 clubs in Oregon. Also try http://www.arizona.rifleshooting.com/ it has a discription of the different matches and links to other sites etc. Good luck.

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I have a RR CMP and people around here are getting sick of hearing me gush about it. The RR trigger is a hot selling item lately. Many Bushy owners are buying them and some have compared them to the Jewell! I'm not saying the RR is fully the equal of the Jewell but to be mentioned in the same breath is quite a privilege, IMO.

The RRs are well put together with cutting-edge parts. You'll like it.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<NRC>
posted
Big thanks to everyone for the info. -

posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Keats . . .

Bushmaster. That's all ye know, and all ye need to know.

Bushmaster has the contract for the US Dept. of Defense these days.

Colt has jimmied the trigger group so that anything else won't fit.

Bush. Bush. Bush.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my end goal. I want an AR that will shoot mil. Surplus ammo well. At this point I am not sure If I want sights or scope. Also I plan to get one of Watson's .50 BMG barrels for it.

My first plan was to get a Bushmaster complete lower and go to the gun show and try different uppers. Then folks also recomended DPMS lowers but I have read they don't always work well with other brands of uppers. I did find out DPMS makes a left hand upper reciever. That would be nice some day but not now. That could be a second upper set up. Others have praised RRA lowers.

My question is is one that much better than the other? If so what are the better points. In other words tell me why not to just get the one that is the least cost?

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Has any one used one of these lowers yet?

SOCOM Mfg Diamond Series AR15 Lower

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a DPMS lower w/Rock River upper and it fits perfectly very tight lock up with no play and it works perfectly.Just for other AR info I put one of the DPMS Flat Top rear sights on it and it is really neat looks good lt. wt and very accurate.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote