Notify
Tools

Marines Only
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted
Recieved this AM.

The Old Dominion Chapter of the 1st Marine Division Association is saddened to report the death of a very dear friend.

Virginia Evans Puller, the widow of Lt. Gen. Lewis B. Puller, USMC, died yesterday at the age of 97. Services will be conducted at 3 PM on Saturday,

11 February at Christ Church Parish. Interment will be in the church cemetery, Christ Church, Va. (the area is about 4 miles East of Saluda, Va.)

Semper Fi.
Floyd D. Newkirk, O.D. Chapter Secretary

See
http://www.gnt.net/~jrube/chestpul.htm

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allot of people don’t know this but Chesty Puller and George Patton were distant cousins. Perhaps we could isolate that family gene and clone some generals for todays military!!!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Condolences from an Army admirer of LTG Chesty Puller......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did not know Her,but having been married to the
General. She was.I bet,quite a lady.
God bless you Mrs Puller.and thank you for letting us borrow you Husband once in a while
when he was really needed.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joejar
posted Hide Post
At least Chesty won't be lonely any more.

Semper Fi.

JTK

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Rick
Can you imagine what the PC crowd would do to Puller and Patton now?? They would want them jailed.
Sad isn’t it. Hell, even Lew Walt would have a hard time now.
Thank God we had them though.
Gene

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
Rick
Can you imagine what the PC crowd would do to Puller and Patton now?? They would want them jailed.
Gene

Some day...I should live so long...the people and politicians in this country are going to figure out that the only two things our military does well is KILL PEOPLE & BREAK THINGS! If you aren’t ready to accept people being killed and things being broken then don’t send our troops there in the first place, send the Peace Corps instead!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our battalion Sgt Major when I was in Vietnam was a guy by the name of Wilbur Jones. Back in Korea, Jones (a Corporal at the time) was Chesty's driver. He spoke quite highly of him.

Like Rick said, it's too bad that the politicos have so much control over our military, especially when certain elements in the world need to be exterminated in the worst way.

Semper Fi

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rick
Gene

Yeah, but we should be heartenend by the selection of Al Gray as Commandant a few years back while I was still in. PC was in full swing, but the press loved him. So even in recent history, not all Generals are always polished politicians. And even the polished politicians are often pretty tough. General Stackpole was a tough man.

Lots of Colonels are cut from the same cloth, too. At the rank of Colonel a lot of the crustier Puller/Patton/Gray type guys peak out. But there seems to be a consistently good pool of Colonels to pick from "in case of war".

Steve

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skl1:
quote:
Rick
Gene

Yeah, but we should be heartenend by the selection of Al Gray as Commandant a few years back while I was still in. PC was in full swing, but the press loved him. So even in recent history, not all Generals are always polished politicians. And even the polished politicians are often pretty tough. General Stackpole was a tough man.

Lots of Colonels are cut from the same cloth, too. At the rank of Colonel a lot of the crustier Puller/Patton/Gray type guys peak out. But there seems to be a consistently good pool of Colonels to pick from "in case of war".

Steve

Steve, you are very right. One of the best things about the Corps is that they have always been smart enough to work well with the press, and they have also been at the forefront of officer training and selection. Not as many “ticket-punchers“ as you find in the Army and Air Force.

My son’s Army infantry brigade in Iraq (1/184 Air Assualt) was led by a Col. who was an Engineer! You seldom, if ever find that in the Corps... Round pegs, round holes!

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
And for the 1st time A Marine is Chairman JCS and Another is CG all of Europe etc.
Can You Believe it. George Marshal is spinning
in his grave.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Don't remember the anecdote very well, but a good friend of the family's father served with Chesty in Korea (he was an old war horse that was a China Marine as well). Well, they had been up on the front with non-stop rain for days when the mail made it to the front. Chesty had received a box of Cuban cigars from his wife. The rain was so bad that there wasn't so much as a dry match in the entire unit. Chesty passed all of the cigars out to his troops, and ordered the men to eat them. They couldn't smoke them, so to paraphrase Puller he said: I'll be damned if the Chinese get ahold of my cigars........

Semper Fi gentlemen

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite Chesty Puller story is about the time he was shown the newest version of the flame thrower the Corps was going to adopt. After looking it all over he casually asked: “Where do you mount the bayonet on this thing?â€

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And for the 1st time A Marine is Chairman JCS and Another is CG all of Europe etc.
Can You Believe it. George Marshal is spinning
in his grave.

It's about time and long over due!

Semper fi,

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you guys havent done it you need to read the story of Chesty,s son its called Fortunate Son and one of the most moving stories I have read he was an officer in Viet Nam.He stepped on a mine and came home a Parapalegic,but managed to overcome that become a lawyer and father two children.
I was lucky enough to have a Drill Instructor who came from my home town and went on to win the CMH and I always knew he would make high marks given the chance.Go to one of the web sites about CMH winners and read about John J.Mcginty,quite the warrior we so admire.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gophershooter:
If you guys havent done it you need to read the story of Chesty,s son its called Fortunate Son and one of the most moving stories I have read he was an officer in Viet Nam.He stepped on a mine and came home a Parapalegic,but managed to overcome that become a lawyer and father two children.

Lewis B. Puller Jr. spent the last months of his life in turmoil, friends and associates said. They say "he fought a losing battle with alcoholism, a disease he had kept at bay for 13 years, and struggled with a more recent addiction to painkillers initially prescribed to dull continuing pain from his wounds". Unable to deal with life, he killed himself on May 11 1994.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote