Find
Notify
Tools

Best cheap 308 ammo?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

Can any of you fellows recommend a good source for 308 milsurp ammo? This is simply for rifle practice shooting. I am looking for a great price, as well as realiable non corrosive ammo. I have heard good 308 ammo can be had for $100 per 1000 rounds, but have no idea where. Any advice would be appreciated. Smiler

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The last cheap stuff I heard anyone brag about was Portugese surplus. It was cheao but maybe not quite that cheap, more like $160 per 1000. You might try this on the military and sniper sites around the web. Those guys keep up with it better.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Try Here

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/cshop/store/gaugeshow.t...0%287%2E62%20NATO%29

or Cabelas bulk ammo.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot .308 and can't speak for the quality of the product but AIM has South African .308 for $147.00 per can of 980 rds - seems cheap enough. They say it is 1970's or 1980's mfr, 147gr lead core, copper jacket (FMJ) and Berdan primed. Also comes in a resealable metal can.
You can find them at http://www.aimsurplus.com if you are interested. They also handle the Korean 30-06 ammo and I've bought several thousand rounds of it - good stuff in an M1.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked the Portuguese stuff. But I don't know where you can get it now. It had the BF headstamp vs. the more common FNM.

I wish I had bought more. It was like tiggertate said, about $160 delivered. And that's about the best you're going to do (pricewise).

I don't think you'll find 7.62 x 51mm for $100 per 1000 rounds. Sorry!

I've heard the South African stuff is pretty good...... but haven't tested it yet.

Maybe you should try a 140 rd. battle pack of the South African stuff and try it out before you buy a large quantity.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
If the link dose not work it is The Ammo Bank.
They have the Portuguese 7.62.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J&G Sales has 1000rnds for 99.99. I dont know how much the shipping is though. I've been thinking of getting some. Its .308 Indian FMJ non-corrosive brass case and boxer primed.
http://www.jgsales.com

Posts: 63 | Location: NM | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Indian stuff is really cheap. But I have heard only negative comments about it's quality.

It might be alright ..... but I'd buy a small quantity first before ordering a couple cases of it.

I thought the Australian .308 Win. (7.62 NATO) FMJ in the 200 rd. sealed ammo can was a pretty good deal. Not the cheapest! But it comes on NATO standard 7.62 stripper clips (40) and has 4 pretty nice bandoleers plus the ammo can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million guys, geat info!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best I have used is the German and the Portuguese 308 ball in the 200 round green ammo pacs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you buy the 200 rnd green packs? I've only seen south african 140 rnd green packs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I havenot seen any of the German lately.
I saw some Portuguese at the last Gunshow I went to last month, it was in machinegun links.
The headstamp on the Port. I have shot was FNM.
I have shot several different kinds of Military 308 over the years, som Chech stuff with a black primer, and some stuff with NO headstamp at all. All of it has been prety good.
But the Port FNM has always shot good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe, I noticed that Sportsman's Guide still advertises Portuguese 7.62 x 51mm.

Case Portuguese 7.62

They only show the 1,000 round case in stock (and this may not be current).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe
Check out DaMan's link. Buy as much as you can afford. Good 308 is hard to find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks. I never knew sportsmans had that and I buy stuff from them a few times a year. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only decent surplus I have found was the Portugese and the Radway Arsenal. Both were great and the radway came in a 30 ca. machine gun box with trays -- heck of a set-up, wish I had purchased more of the Radway.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Portuguese is copper washed steel jacketed ammo, shoot's good though. The South African is a true copper jacket, nice ammo, usually not as accurate as thr Port.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote