New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Lithgow No 1 Mk III* that I ran some Hotshot brand ammo through. It was 180gr. FMJ's in 303 British, and the box stated that it was made in Bosnia-Herzegovina. I shot it at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters to see how the short-range trajectory might look like, and I was surprised! At 25m, it was dead on. At 50m it shot 4" low, with a playing card sized grouping. At 75m it dropped to 10" low, same accuracy. I set the rear sight up to the 200m mark so that it would at least stay on the paper. The accuracy was so bad at 100 meters that it would hardly stay on a man-sized silhouette. I just shot the same target an range with a .44 lever action carbine with good results, so I think I might be in the ballpark. Discounting a possible problem with the rifle, has anyone had a lt of problems with this ammo?

Hotshot, in a red-white-blue box.'

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does this rifle shoot when using other ammunition? bewildered

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I have an Ishy No1 MkIII and an Ishy 2A

There is a screw that is just behind the front sling holder. That screw can be tuned to help with accuracy. Either tighten or loosen as needed to tighten up groups.
My Ishy No1 MkIII needed some tuning of the underside nose cap screw as well.
I don't use a torque wrench. I tighten snug and then a 1/8" turn, go shooting and adjust accordingly. Too tight and groups turn to patterns. Same with too loose.

My No1 MkIII shoots about the same with any factory ammo. Your gun may be ammo specific. The SMLE can be a fussy, stubborn mistress.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
sputster

no1 mk3* lee enfields are a bitch (I own 2)things to check are the little spring just behind the muzzle that puts upward pressure on the barrel ,and the one already mentioned in the centre .If your lithgow has coachwood furniture (and it most likely has ) make sure the front action screw aka king screw is super tight or you will split the stock ,also check inside the stock if it has recoil pads installed.
Check out the links for more detailed info on lee enfields

http://p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=44

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My SMLE shoots great with the Hotshot ammo, I just shot it at 50yds, but it will make a sub 1" 5 shot group at that range. I was using the softpoint, not the fmj's

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Easy_Rollins
posted Hide Post
That Yugo-Privi Partizan ammo is not a target ammo,it's only good for a couple of firings also.HTH

Regards,Shaun.

Kids in the back seat cause accidents,accidents in the back seat cause kids.

Posts: 479 | Location: Brisbane,Australia. | Registered: 28 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually use the Speer 150gr. PSP for my loadings. It's large enough for most of what I shoot, and as accurate as most. I get my best results with either IMR4895 42.0gr. or with IMR4064 40.7grs. Both will give me about 2400fps. If you are handloading you might consider neck sizing your cases to make them last longer. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine once had a No. 4 and a No.5 (Jungle Carbine), that he asked me to develop some loads for.

I started out with the N0. 5, and we came up with one load for the thing using IMR 4350 powder and Sierra 200-grain .308" PSPBT bullets that gave 2100 FPS MV and often would shoot into 1" @ 100 yards (5 shots!!). Believe me, I almost fainted! It did no better with .311 Speer bullets, either. Don't remember how the No. 4 shot.

But I am sure a good SMLE can be made to shoot well, at least the No.4's and No. 5's. I've never worked with the earlier variety. But the .303 British is a good cartridge, as is the .30/40 U.S.G.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the hotshot 6.5 swede really shoots well in my rifle.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote