New
Find
Notify
Tools

a few new guy AR15 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i'm thinking real seriously about stepping off into the AR15 world. a couple of questions. 1) what is the LOP with the A2 stock. it looks pretty long in the pictures i've seen and i almost always have to get my rifle stocks cut to fit. if it's too long i'll go with the 6 position stock.

2) chrome lined barrel or not.

thanks for any advice/help

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not know the LOP for an A2 stock, but I am 5'10 and it fits me fine. In a bolt gun I like a 13.75" pull.

A lot of people do not like the regular military 6 position stock because it is a little loose and rattley. The Magpull CTR stock has the same adjustments but is more solid (and costs more).

A chrome lined barrel will tend to reduce fouling and therefore improve reliablity if you are shooting a lot. But chrome plating leaves imperfections which impair accuracy a little. So if you are getting an AR for prarie dog hunting or for target shooting, then no chrome lining. If you are getting a defensive rifle, plinker, or a rifle for combat-type shooting compeititon, then go with the chrome lining.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be a little difficult to aim the AK, with that thing in his lip. rotflmo
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the military came out with the newer versions of the M16 they lengthened the stock some as the original was on the short side. With that said if you somehow find the current stock too long, just get an original. You don't have to resort to a carbine collapseable on, they aren't as conductive to good scope use as the regular stock in my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thnaks to all for the information

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote