New
Find
Notify
Tools

P17 Enfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to ID this rifle, but I don't find a s/n or many other markings. What markings and where should they be? It has scope mounted, is 30.06 cal , the military stock has been customized. The one mark I do find looks like a flaming bomb. Thanks for any help Kelly.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I assume you are talking about a sporterized Model 1917.

There were only three makers in the US: Winchester, Remington, and Eddystone. That should be so indicated on the front receiver ring (partially blocked by a scope mount?). The flaming bombs are Ordinance stamps. Look on some of your parts for a W, R, or E, which indicated which of the makers made that particular part. M1917's are often a mismatch of parts; bolts, sights, etc.

If the barrel hasn't been shortened, then right behind the front sight you might find another flaming bomb and the initials of the barrel maker and the date it was made/installed. Most that I have seen are dated 1918.

Look on the stock for stamps/cartouches. Many of these rifles were re-arsenaled around the early WWII era. For example, you might find "OG EK" stamped on the left side of the stock (opposite the bolt handle). That means it was re-arsenaled at Ogden Arsenal and the 'smith that did it was non other than Elmer Keith.

But when they get sporterized a lot of the markings and such get wiped out.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull the front scope base off and there will be a serial number underneath the Printing: “U.S. Model of 1917†over either Winchester, Remington, or Eddystone.

Or... since you didn’t give a real good description other than military stock and .30-06, it might also say: U.S. over a manufacturers name over Model 1903 over a serial number.

In the latter case it‘s a Sprinfield and not an Enfield.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled the scope off, and under the front base was US Model 1917 Remington and the s/n. The front sight is a barrel band sight, so all I could see was what looked like a 6 on one side and an 8 on the other side. There are no marks on the stock. Thaanks for the help.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Norman:
Look on the stock for stamps/cartouches. Many of these rifles were re-arsenaled around the early WWII era. For example, you might find "OG EK" stamped on the left side of the stock (opposite the bolt handle). That means it was re-arsenaled at Ogden Arsenal and the 'smith that did it was non other than Elmer Keith.

Matt - Are you certain Elmer did any gunsmithing on those rifles?

It is my understanding that he was an Inspector at Ogden, doing acceptance gauging for the military, not a gunsmith. Matter of fact, I don't recall Keith having ever worked anywhere as a gunsmith. He did a lot of experimenting, concept-wise, but even on his own guns he had Charlie O'Neill do his 'smithing if I remember things right (hence the OKH cartridges (O'Neill, Keith & Hopkins). 'Course it wouldn't be the first time in 70 years that I was wrong or my memory putzed out.......

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mark “OG EK†could be either Elmer Keith or E. Klouser. Both worked at Ogden Arsenal, but they were inspectors not gunsmiths.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I mis-spoke...he was not a gunsmith but final inspector. I will qoute excerpts from Elmer Keith's book "Hell, I Was There".

Page 186: "...I did the real inspection, checking the barrels, checking the actions, and I did all the proof firing. At one time we processed 500 rifles a day". (NOTE: he then mentions they were working on Enfields, Springfields, M1 Rifles, 30 Carbine, 45 Auto pistols and .50 caliber guns).

Page 187: "I put in three and a half years at Ogden Arsenal in charge of proof-firing and final inspection....I told the officers when I took the job I would not put OG.E.K. in the little rectangular box, my proof mark, on any gun I was not willing to go into combat with myself."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote