THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MILITARY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Military & Military Surplus    Ralph’s Guide to Buying Your First Mosin Nagant 91/30 Pt. 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ralph’s Guide to Buying Your First Mosin Nagant 91/30 Pt. 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
quote:

The Mosin Nagant 91/30 is a blunderbuss with a bad attitude, a fierce weapon of war from the tip of its pig-sticker bayonet to its skull-cracking iron butt plate. The original 91 was introduced in 1892, improved in 1930, and remained Russia’s top infantry rifle until 1945. Like the Ivans and Ivanettes who carried this beast through seven wars, the Nagant rifle packs a punch. It’s big, robust, heavy, loud, rude, sometimes crude, iron-balls tough, ugly in a beautiful way, cheap, historic and a whole lot of fun if you go easy on the vodka. Whoa. I just kinda described myself if I drop the historic thing and add more vodka . . .

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2...t-mosin-nagant-9130/

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Well I read part, that was enough. A definite rookie. 91/30's come in Flavors like Baskin and Robbins. Don't believe what is stamped on the barrel, or receiver. Take the rifle out of the stock and check the tang, that is where the fun starts. The original manufacturer weather French, U.S., or one of the 4 Russian arsenals will be stamped there. Almost all were re-arsenaled at some point, some not. Ex Dragoons, M91's, Cossack rifles were all converted. The Dragoon was made until 1926. They had new sights added in the 1930's. So where does the buying part come in?? There are so many rifles that were converted, not to mention Finn 91/30's. I have a 1938 captured from the winter war. Still matching in 91/30 configuration, but w/ double SA stamps and a Finn finish on the stock.

BTW, who destroyed that stock???
I have a few more tucked away.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Be sure to watch "Enemy at the Gates" while fondling your 91-30.

Posts: 17114 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Be sure to watch "Enemy at the Gates" while fondling your 91-30.

Only my PU sniper!

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
I thought the first rule of buying a Nagant was never spend more the $150.00 on one..?

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in AAPawn in Deland, FL.......they have CASES of them.....look arsenal-quality for 150 each.
In Mpls./St. Paul, there are big home/hardware stores selling visibly refurbished (but decent) ones for 99.00..............HUNDREDS of them.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote