New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to disassemble a vz24
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wondering how to take the stock off the action. Yes, I know to take the action bolts out, but the "barrel band" in the front seems to be holding it together still. I backed out the screw on that band, but it wont come out all the way- should it? Im trying to clean the gun up as I just go it and its in OK condition, but there is so much oil and grease I want to take the whole thing apart and get it good. Ive been laying the gun next to the fireplace and there is a small puddle of oil that keeps dripping down! I also assume on the disassebly the metal peice next to the bayonet lug needs to come off so the barrel is free.

Thanks for your help.

Buell

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 2 screws in the front swivel band. One at the sling loop and the other is in the side of the band. They both have to be loosened or taken out. The one on the side is a spanner type (as is the one on the bayonet lug). If they're not there the heads may have been broken off. If that's the case it won't be much fun.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buell,

Take the screw out of the front part of the rear sight, then flip the sight up and pop up the handguard (a c-clip spring holds it to the barrel just in front of the receiver). You have to turn it 90 degrees to align the sight with the slot in the handguard. This, of course, after you take off the front sling band that holds down the front of the handguard. Finally, depress the small button on the right hand side of the band at the end of the stock (not sure what the proper name of this band is), near the bayonet mounting stud, and slide the band forward -- or probably drive it forward with a dowel, as its likely to be rusted on.

Now you can lift the barrelled action out.

I hope the directions are clear -- I'm doing it by memory from work, and I haven't disassembled a VZ-24 in some time. BTW, acetone or BrakeKleen work well for getting all of the cosmoline off.

Did you get the e-mail I sent you with bolt handle pics?

Todd

Edited: Craig is right! I forgot about the screws... I think I used a vice grip to take out the non-slotted one. I think my description of the bands above may apply more to the 98/22. Anyway, good luck.

[ 12-30-2002, 04:12: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd-

yes I got the pictures of the bolt handles. Thanks very much.

I was able to get everything off fine with the intstructions, and thankgod nothing was rusted together!

Luckily the vz I was able to get appears to be in very good condition, so I lucked out. ALL the blueing is still in excellent condition...

Well, thanks,

Buell

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about some pictures Buell? I can't say I've ever seen a VZ-24 that wasn't a 'sweat and dirt polished' silver patina. If I didn't know better, I would think they weren't ever blued. Actually I guess mine still had some bluing on the underside of the barrel -- but nowhere else!

Is this the one you are going to build a custom rifle out of? Or will you keep it military?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd-

My main computer crashed, and we are getting a new one tonight, but when I get it running Ill email you some pictures.

This is the gun Im turning into a 9.3x62. I want to shoot it in the 8mm form first, and I need to clean up the action a little. One thing that was odd, the slot where the bolt release slides into war raised slightly, which made the bolt impossible to go back all the way. I have a Husqvarna and the bolts seem to be interchangable aside from the bolt handles, but it would go back all the way. One minute with a Dremmel cleared that up. Ill show you some pics of what I am talking about...

In a couple weeks or so Im shipping it to bear claw. he's going to put a lothar barrel on for me. I should have the project finished in 2-3 months with any luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Which one of the Lothar barrels? I've been corresponding with Woody all day by e-mail to get mine ordered before Jan 1st. I'm going the Atkinson route with the 25.6" barrel. A little extra velocity, and a little longer forearm (I have long arms) without it looking goofy. I've almost got everything else ready -- 98/22 action w/ argy hinged TG, Talley mounts & bolt handle, a PME 2 position safety, NECG sights, and a bastogne stock (on the way) from Richards. Still deciding on the trigger; give Timney another try, or spend the $$ for a Blackburn. This should be fun; a perfect caliber for a European Mauser, and legal for dangerous game. I got rid of the 35 Whelen barrel I had because it was neither.

Good luck with your 9.3,
Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im not sure which Lothar barrel, but ive heard nothing but good about them, so I look forward to it. I was originally going to pay pac-nor to do it, but bear claw can do it for a bit cheaper.

I think Im going with the NECG sights as well. I want the HH front and 3 leaf rear. The HH style front has a flip up ivory night sight which is a nice touch as well.

Most people say you're better off just buying a rifle complete, but I think the way WE are going is the best. We'll get way nicer wood, sights, barrel ect. Takes longer and a little more money, but in the end its worth it to me. Besides I can't stand the modern stocks these days, and I love the Mauser 98.

After this project I want to build a 404 jeffery on a persian mauser. It will be more involved a project, but it should be fun none the less.

Ill have some pics to you tonight..

Buell