Find
Notify
Tools

CZ-26 SMG kit?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
HI, I picked up one of those CZ-26 parts kits and I'm wondering what the slot on the right side of the stock is for? It looks like it's supposed to hold an extra magazine, but I can't find any picutures of what else is needed to hold it in place. I working on putting it back together with a semiauto only trigger. I'll do it without the folding stock first, so it'll be a pistol. Then I'll make a 16.5" barrel to use with the butt stock attached.
Any ideas on where to find some pics or info on the mag thing?
TIA.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be very certain about what you are doing. The old maxim "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun" may apply here. If full-auto trigger parts or fire control parts of any type for this weapon are available for purchase without some sort of documentation to alert you to their heritage, you may find yourself in deep clintoon, having assembled a "machinegun," even though your honest intention is to build a semi-auto firearm. Do your research before you go too far with drilling or welding or whatever.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rootbeer is right, you have to be very careful about what parts you have in posession until they are modified. I suggest that you go over to www.weaponeer.net. These conversions are their hobby and you will find help and parts that will be legal, as well as sound advice and some letters stating by the BATFE that a certain approach is legal.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eric
posted Hide Post
Ditto the other guys.

The thingie on the "stock", i.e foreward handgrip, is a magazine loading tool. Lay the round in the groove and press magazine down to load.

Regards,

Eric

P.S. Does your bench always look like that?

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."
Benjamin Franklin, July 4 1776
Lost once in the shuffle, member since 2000.

Posts: 199 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bench always looks like that...

Something else you need to consider: Just having the necessary parts in your possession may constitute "constructing" or "possessing" a machinegun. To have an M-16 trigger, hammer, disconnector, bolt carrier and selector in one place and too close to an AR-15 can land your tush in prison if the ATF should discover you have them. Nowhere is it written that you will put these parts into the rifle just as having a hacksaw in the garage and a shotgun in the gun cabinet does not indicate you will create a sawn-off shotgun, but the ATF has its own definitions and often will not listen to reason. Do your reseach!!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I'll check out the other site and see what I can find over there. I was planning on makeing my own trigger group for it that would incorperate a disconnector so it would be semi auto only. I think I'll make the front pin hole in a different spot so the original trigger assembly could not go back in.
All this is, is a collection of parts. They cut the reciever apart and didn't send the middle piece, so if I'm makeing my own receiver, then it won't be a CZ-26 machine gun, I could call it a "Jim Bob-26"
The bench is not normally that bad. I've just been really swamped lately.
I've read a good bit on the ATF site looking through the CFR. I have all of the pertenent stuff printed off and kept in a folder about what the legal discriptions and restrictions are. Like being able to legally build your own gun without a liscence as long as you could legally own or buy the finished product. You just can't sell it.
I"ll hold off on welding the front piece in place until I get clarification on the rest of it.
Thanks about the magazine loading tool clarification.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The "once a machine gun, always a machine gun" does not apply to these kits. they have been demilled(cut into pieces at the right spots) according to ATF specs and are no longer a reciever. It appears that to build it into a pistol is lots easier as the ATF doesn't care as long as it's semi auto only and you can't put the full auto parts in. To build into a rifle they have a restriction on only includeing 10 of the imported parts from a list. The rest have to be US made. Fire from a closed bolt and have the fireing pin seperate from the bolt. New reciever that won't take the original machinegun parts.
So it looks completly legal and doable as long as you follow the rules.
great site with lots of info, thanks.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I know my opinion on this won't be very popular, but here it is anyway.

If I was contemplating doing what you are thinking of, I would WRITE (not call) the BATF Technical Branch in Washington, D.C., describing what I had in mind and asking for their written opinion as to its legality, BEFORE I started.

All the interpretations in the world off the internet are of absolutely NO use as a defense if you are arrested by the feds. Just ask mouldmaker Veral Smith, one of your neighbors up there in Idaho. He had every kind of legal explanation provided to him by others as to why he had no legal obligation to file returns or pay federal taxes. Didn't keep him from a free vacation at the crowbar hotel.

As a hint, my contacts inside BATF say they did not approve import of those kits as a source of parts for new guns built by other than licensed manufacturers. They were approved for import as a source of replacement parts for currently registered Class III firearms.

Where the water gets muddy, it is hard to see the crocodiles you may be about to step on.....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
My vague understanding of the rules, as an outside observer, suggest you either have to buld this thing as a pistol or a rifle. A designated pistol can not have a provision for a shoulder stock. All the kits that I've seen advertised say they are sold for replacement parts only. At one time it was legal to sell full auto weapons in Canada, if they were converted to semi auto only, which I always thought ludicrous, since semi-auto in a weapon of this type is basically interrupted full auto.I've been tempted to order one of these since according to American laws they are not a firearm, but I suspect customs would freak if one showed up on their door step. I would argue there is no receiver there, so its basically a collection of parts.
grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
That is correct, they do not have a reciever. On the weponeer site, there is an ATF letter posted that clearly says that when they were cut up, it ended the machinegun classification and they are not considered a firearm of any type. Therefore if you build something it is a new something. there is also a letter about building an AK type pistol from a new reciever. The ATF stated that useing a new reciver that has never been built into a rifle and haveing any provision for a butt stock removed, welded over, would make a legal pistol. In that same letter, it says that a pistol is not governed by act 922r that deals with how many imported parts can be used in building the new something.

Yes, a written letter to the ATF with drawings of what I intend to do would be very nice to have. I'll do that before finishing anything up. Then I can keep a laminated copy of the responce with the gun.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Hello;
My vague understanding of the rules, as an outside observer, suggest you either have to buld this thing as a pistol or a rifle. A designated pistol can not have a provision for a shoulder stock. All the kits that I've seen advertised say they are sold for replacement parts only. At one time it was legal to sell full auto weapons in Canada, if they were converted to semi auto only, which I always thought ludicrous, since semi-auto in a weapon of this type is basically interrupted full auto.I've been tempted to order one of these since according to American laws they are not a firearm, but I suspect customs would freak if one showed up on their door step. I would argue there is no receiver there, so its basically a collection of parts.
grizz

Griz -

I believe your interpretation is correct. I also understand that if the firearm was originally made/sold as a rifle, you cannot legally convert it to a pistol without explicit permission of the feds. I don't know which the G-Men would consider these "kits" to be, but it is just one more reason to be careful, as it is not clear WHAT they think, and it may vary from day-to-day, agent-to-agent.

Further to the "for replacement parts only" doctrine, that is one of the reasons that last January they quit issuing ANY more permits for parts kits to be imported into the U.S. Their stand is that Americans have no right to import parts for guns, where the guns themselves are not legal for import.

Kind of makes sense, IF you buy the idea that there are ANY guns we should not be able to import/own. I don't agree with that idea, but then, I don't run the government either.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I have shooted this one in full auto years ago. Belive if you pull trigger not most far, it shoot semiauto, if you pull trigger completelly, it shoot full auto. It need good training but it is very effective (not need to use any fire selector).

I have a question, which AR-15s could be equipped with M-16 parts ? Any ? Or there are any problems with some ? (only interested) ?

Jiri

Posts: 2104 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Jiri -

You can google AR-15, and find a number of different sites with nformation relevant to your M-16 parts in an AR-15 question.

In the U.S., there are a number of M-16 parts which it is illegal to even possess, if you also possess an AR-15. It does not matter whether the M-16 parts are in the AR-15, or not, just having the two in one's possession may be used as cause to arrest him for possession of a machine-gun under current U.S. law. A typical example is an M-16 sear.

I think ar-15.com was one of the sites I found that covers this, but I don't remember for sure. Anyway, it doesn't take much searching. There is a LOT of electronic information out there on this rifle because of the vast numbers of them in use throughout the world.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the part about if a receiver was never manufactured as a rifle, then it can be made into a pistol, even though it is a "rifle" receiver. A good example of this is many silhouette shooters used to buy new manufacture Mauser 98 type actions and build .308, .358 etc. single shot pistols. I always wanted to buy one of the rolling block actions that navy arms used to sell and build myself a nice single shot 45-70 pistol.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Over at weponeer.net, they have an ATF letter posted concerning building an AK-47 type pistol. They are useing a parts kit and a new reciever that has not been built into anything yet. The ATF reply clearly states that the new reciver is legal as it was not previously built into a rifle. They also state that the 922r restrictions(not more than 10 imported parts can be used) doesn't apply as it's going to be a pistol and 922r only applies to building rifles and shotguns. They also state that there can be no provision for a butt stock to be bolted on.

The trigger group acts exactly like described above. I'll build a completly new one with a disconector and move the mounting point so the original can't be put back in.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com