New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser help-more pictures added
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just met an elderly gentleman at the local gunshop. He had a Mauser with a 24" barrel and the bolt handle was bent. Has some Nazi symbols on it. All numbers matched. I had a borrowed camera so pics weren't good. It did have an Erma 22 rimfire insert, magazine and bolt with it. I haven't learned to post photos yet but can email them. Trying to help the old man. Said he picked it up in 1943 in North Africa.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will post for you if you email them to me @yahoo.com with the same handle.

If you go to photo bucket you can set up a free account and load them there. Then use the photobucket URL to paste in the drop down for the little photo above right.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Some Mauser buff could add to what I see but it is a laminated stock K98 with stamped hardware.
It would be interesting to know the manufacturer's code.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Butch,

I'm curious about the elderly gents story...where did the Erma .22 adapter come into play? Can't imagine too many German foot soldiers packing around such gear in their kit.

True Vet 'bring backs' (intact) are very desireable.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The front ring has CE on it. The 22rf conversion was given to him by his brother.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Butch CE was a code for JP Saur. From what I can see form your photos the stock looks like it has be refinished unfortunatly. Does the Erma kit have it original wooden box?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,
He didn't bring it in to the shop in a box. I will make an effort to contact him in the morning. He is 88yrs old and a very nice gentleman. He sold a couple of old like new Hi Standard automatic pistols to my buddy. If I get in touch with him and he agrees, I will take my camera which has a macro setting. I just want him to get what is reasonable for his rifle. I think that he should sell the Erma conversion separately.
Butch

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
88 years old is about right to match the story. That would make him about 23 years old in 1943.
(Born in 1920-21)

My father was a WWII Vet. He was born in 1925, dropped out of high school in 1943 when he turned 18. President Roosevelt promised the moms that all such teenagers would get a year of training before they saw combat. A year later my father was dumped on Utah Beach. He was in Germany in May 1945 for VE Day, (he had just turned 20 years of age).

So this gent was a tad older. The welded front band just barely makes it into 1943.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only additional info that I received was after picking it up in Africa, Tunisia, he went to Italy. I sent Ireload2 more photos. He wants $1000 with the Erma 22rf conversion.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well if its matching Ill buy it can you advise if metal parts and stock are numbered the same bolt also of course.

Posts: 84 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: 19 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And if you have additional photos please send to texasbadger@sbcglobal.net

Posts: 84 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: 19 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Only additional info that I received was after picking it up in Africa, Tunisia, he went to Italy. I sent Ireload2 more photos. He wants $1000 with the Erma 22rf conversion.
Butch

Butch,
So far I have not received any more photos.