Find
Notify
Tools

500 Yard Long Range Coyote!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted

Well, got out on Monday with my brother and BIL, saw 3, but could only get into range of 2 of them. They were both out in the middle of a potato field and either ignored our calls, or couldn't hear them as the distance from us to them was over 500 yards and the wind was blowing our sound away from them.

So eventually my bil and I decided that some army crawling was in order, we closed the distance to about 510 yards, we were situated atop a ridge, with a great prone shooting position. Even then the coyotes were either ignoring our calls, but I'm more guessing that they couldn't hear them, as we were only using hand calls. I finally made the decision to take the coyote in the open, he was laying down quartering towards us, and only the top half of his body was visible from our location. The female, as it turns out, was bedded in a hole she had dug in the snowbank the male was laying on. I judged the distance to be about 500 yards and leveled the second plex line on my Burris FFII 4.5-14x44 scope, forgetting to focus the parallax, and only having it on 9 power, but none of that made a difference as the first shot hit him square in the left leg. I had given it too much wind. If I had remembered to adjust the parallax and had the power up to about 12, I would have noticed that I was off target too much for the negligable wind that there was.

After the shot, he got up and trotted about 25 yards further, the second shot was sent while he was on the move, which missed. At this point my bil started to blast away at the running female, but he only got one shot off and his .204 jammed somehow. I then racked another shell, and waited for the male to stop, when he did, I put the hammer down on him with a high shoulder shot....he was DRT! I then turned my attention to the runninng female, and managed to get my sights on her, but just as I squeezed off the shot, she bolted.

It was a heck of a long walk to retrieve my prize, but it was worth it!

I shoot a Rem 700 in 22-250 with 50 gr berger match bullets over a 40gr charge of H380.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice yote sounds like it was fun do own a range finder.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Canada do the pelts bring anything? Here in the Mid-South when I was much younger you could get about $35. Last I heard they don't bring much anymore.

Anyway, a shot like that is one to be proud of. It'd make my whole day, or year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Nice yote sounds like it was fun do own a range finder.

Nope, don't have a range finder yet, but it was easy to judge the distance, they were in a 1/4 section with a pivot, pivots are about 425 yards long, we were situated about 100 yards from the end of the pivot, so in all just over 500 yards!

My oldest brother who usually is with me hunting has a rangefinder, but he was at work that day.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
In Canada do the pelts bring anything? Here in the Mid-South when I was much younger you could get about $35. Last I heard they don't bring much anymore.

Anyway, a shot like that is one to be proud of. It'd make my whole day, or year.

The avg price last year was about $20, so they almost aren't worth skinning. This guy is destined to be a tube shaped hand warmer big enough to fit gloved hands for those oh so cold Canadian winters.

Thanks for the kind words! It was a pretty amazing shot....I think I even said I was awesome after the shot, at least that's what my brother in law said I said! This happens to be my second 500 yards coyote, I got one by pure luck in March this year, this one wasn't as much luck as I did a lot of long range practice this past summer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice big yote!!
Sounds like a hell of a shot too, congrats!

----------------------------

Posts: 124 | Location: Waukeenah, Fl | Registered: 22 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
nice shooting and enjoy the handwarmer!!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
THATS AWESOME. I had 2 yesterday evening coming across a frozen lake, but the closest one got was 425 yds and never stopped trotting. I did not want to just scare him so I did not even try a shot.

Maybe I can pick up some of your luck??

Good Shooting !!!!

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
THATS AWESOME. I had 2 yesterday evening coming across a frozen lake, but the closest one got was 425 yds and never stopped trotting. I did not want to just scare him so I did not even try a shot.

Maybe I can pick up some of your luck??

Good Shooting !!!!

Big Grin If'n I was in your shoes, I would have done the same thing, as a moving target the size of a coyote at 425 is a shot I wouldn't try either.

Thanks for the kind words!