New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 788 in .222
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Fellow Canadians-Anybody have a line on a good used Model 788 in .222 Rem? Have been looking for one for a while, but no luck thought I'd try this venue. Thanks-Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken at the shootist had one the last time I was in there Karl. He's in ST. Albert

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan- Checked it out, looks nice, but I think that $650 is a bit excessive even though it includes an old scope. Didn't these retail for something like $140 back in the 70's?

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think $650 is a bit pricey too but I have a 788 in 22-250 and don't know if I would let it go for any less than $550. It is a tack driver and when you compare it to buying a new Remington for basically $1000 that won't shoot worth a hoot. I don't know, it seems like a deal to me.

Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a little spendy Karl, but I can tell you it's in nice shape. It's on consignment I believe, which may explain the higher price. I have 4 788's and they're all shooters. Reason I remembered it though, is that you don't see them in 222 everyday. There's one here in Bozeman for $450 US without scope (in 22-250 though), which makes it about $565 CDN. Maybe tell Ken you don't want the scope. - dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan-as usual you have a great deal of knowledge. My thought is this; instead of paying a "high" price for an older firearm, would I be better served going to maybe a CZ or Tikka in .223. The only reason I asked about the .222 is that I have a relative that has one and it is very accurate. My only requirement is for a rifle that is such. Thanks again -Karl

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I bought a new (lefthanded) 788 in 308Win in 1974 and I still have the receipt:
Remington M788 (L) $99.95 (righthanded was $94.95)
Weaver 3x9 Variable Scope $29.95
Weaver scope mounts and rings $5.95
Leather sling and sling swivels $5.45
Tax $7.07
Labor to mount and bore site scope & install Sling swivels- $10.00
1 box of Remington Coreloct 150 grn sp ammo - free.
Total Price - $158.37 (USD)

I still have everything but the ammo. (I did change the scope out, but I still have it.)

[ 12-08-2003, 04:46: Message edited by: Fjold ]

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Guys-From what I have heard I should be willing to pay a premium for a 30 year old rifle. My new question is this-I can buy a new Tikka in .222 or .223 for about the same amount or for a little more a CZ in the same calibers. Is the .222 that much more accurate, than a .223! If not would I be better off with the abovementioned rifles? If so, since they are both chambered in .222 and .223 which calibre would you suggest. My main desire is for peak accuracy.

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hoehne:
OK Guys-From what I have heard I should be willing to pay a premium for a 30 year old rifle. My new question is this-I can buy a new Tikka in .222 or .223 for about the same amount or for a little more a CZ in the same calibers. Is the .222 that much more accurate, than a .223! If not would I be better off with the abovementioned rifles? If so, since they are both chambered in .222 and .223 which calibre would you suggest. My main desire is for peak accuracy.

There is little if any difference in accuracy between the .222 and the .223. There will be more differences in accuracy betwen different rifles than there will be between these two cartridges.

The 788 is a rifle you either love or hate. Some can be super accurate and others couldn't hit the side of barn. They also are known for a number of other potential problems.

If I was looking at a used 788 and a new Tikka for the same amount of money it would be a no-brainer. The Tikka is a great rifle and I would hazard a guess that they are every bit as accurate as any 788 ever built.

More info on the 788: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/788.html

[ 12-08-2003, 08:05: Message edited by: Cariboo ]

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl, I wasn't trying to convince you to buy it. I was just trying to explain why I thought the price was what it was. Personally, I've never spent more then $300 CDN for a 788, and most of them were a little cheaper then that. But I bought them all for shooters, I really have no interest in closet queens. The handles are brazed on and with abuse and/or a weak joint will come off. Yes, you can't load them really hot. Why would you want to? These are inexpensive, utility rifles taht happen to shoot very well ( at least every one I or my friends and acquaintences have used). If you can get a Tikka for that price or a CZ, jump on it. I especially like the CZ Mannlichers, they are a very nice looking rifle, and my experience with CZ quality has been good. I don't care for their rear sight, but that's a small thing. FWIW - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan-Didn't think you were trying to sway me, sorry if you think I thought so. Just trying to get a feel for the thoughts of you guys that knew a little more than I do. I am really thinking about a Savage at this point. They have a reputation for accuracy at an affordable price and it would be brand new, not possibly someone else's problem. Maybe a Tikka also. Will be going to the Calgary gun show and see what else might be available. Karl

savage

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoehne If you are serious about a 788 e-mail me. I have one that I might part with. Maybe a trade?

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
788s...THE SLEEPER rifle of the century.

I made the mistake of introducing several friends to 788s and they have all gotten the bug.
I have 1 who has somewhere around 20 of them now, all because I let him play with mine in .223.
I hae had 6 different ones of my own but I always find someone who wants it more then me later on.

So far to date the highest bid I turned down on my .223 788 has been $600 from a guy who tried it and after about 20 rounds said it was more accurate then his Remington heavy he had built...for $800.
I bought it on closeout for $150 in 1979.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if you guys know of a lefty in 308 let me know. It must be in Canada, all of the paper work to get it over the border is not worth it. I have a right hander in 22-250 that was given to me by my dad. I have not really shot to much it but I know that it will shoot under an inch for three with starting loads.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ROA, I have a buddy in Edmonton who's talking about selling his, as he's picked up a Savage and he's got a couple of MRC's on the way. Send me a PM, and I'll ask him about it when I get home. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoehone, if you are interested in a savage you might want to give P&D in edmonton a call. they had a blow out sale last weekend on their remaining stock of savage rifles I picked up a 16FSS in .223 for $475.00. they may have some left. The blued ones were going for $437.00. Don't know why I bought it other than to see if it shoots like everyone says savage does. Not a very visually appealing rifle thats for sure, but very functional. So far I haven't drawn any conclusions as I have only lightened the trigger, free floated the forend to get rid of barrel contact and fireformed 50 rounds of brass with a light load. brass is prepped up and will see what it will do tomorrow.
Their number is 1-780-420-6419.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oskar-Thanks for the heads up, called the guys there and they were great to deal with. I will know if they can obtain a Savage in .223 by Monday, hell I might even go with a .22-250. Seems to make a lot more sense to go with a new rifle for the same price as a used 20-30 yr. old one. Would really like to go with a Tikka or CZ but can't justify the cost. Thanks-Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oskar-Bought a Savage 11f yesterday from P&D, a .223. Good guys to deal with thanks for the referral. Now have to renew my FAC as they were good enough to hold it for me until that time. Will be dealing with these guys more in the future. Thanks again Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot mine on the weekend and it shot just under an inch with the first loads I made up for it. Sure it will do better with some more load developement.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think the biggest problem with the Rem. 788 was it fell victim to its own success. I don't think
Remington ever thought it would sell so well, or be so accurate. For an inexpensive, ugly rifle it certainly
was a winner. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If I was looking at a used 788 and a new Tikka for the same amount of money it would be a no-brainer. The Tikka is a great rifle and I would hazard a guess that they are every bit as accurate as any 788 ever built.

Not necessarily so. I have experience with only one Tikka, in 25/06, but it was definitely not an accurate rifle. I tried many different loads in it and never got one to shoot well.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote