THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    BC guide sues government for grizzly closure

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BC guide sues government for grizzly closure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good friend Ron Fleming starts class action against the NDP

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Small businesses affected by ban on grizzly bear hunt announce Class Action against Province of B.C.
Vancouver, British Columbia (December 18, 2018) - Ron Fleming, owner of Love Bros & Lee, a 45-year guide outfitting company outside Smithers B.C., filed a class action suit in B.C. Supreme Court today, seeking compensation for all guide outfitting businesses following the government’s December 2017 decision to ban grizzly bear hunting across the province.
The suit alleges the decision was taken for inappropriate reasons, without regard to proper wildlife management practices, and with the knowledge that the decision would cause harm to guide outfitters.
With 245 guide outfitter businesses, the B.C. industry is an important contributor to the local economy, jobs and quality of life in rural and remote areas. These businesses directly employ more than 2,000 people whose livelihoods are now at risk.
Prior to the ban, fewer than 2% of grizzly bears in B.C. were hunted each year and grizzly bear numbers have been increasing in B.C.
Quotes:
“The government has pulled the rug out from under guide outfitters -- without any consultation. To suggest we can just retrain to other businesses or move to the city is absurd and disrespectful of rural communities.” Ron Fleming, Owner Outfitter, Love Bros & Lee.
“The Grizzly Bear hunting ban decision by the Province was made without consulting the Tahltan Nation and many other important stakeholders. It has hurt our people culturally, economically and put many of British Columbia's communities and dwindling ungulate and salmon populations at further risk. We support the efforts taken to hold the Province accountable for this very irresponsible, counter-productive and dangerous decision. Wildlife management decisions in British Columbia need to be based on science and best wildlife and conservation practices." Chad Norman Day, President, Tahltan Central Government.
“Guide outfitters have been hit very hard by this decision. I hear their frustration daily and understand the need for this lawsuit. If government is not prepared to fairly compensate these outfitters, they are left with little other choice.” Scott Ellis, Executive Director, Guide Outfitters Association of B.C.
Joan Young, McMillan LLP: 604-893-7639 or Media.Inquiries@mcmillan.ca

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to see how it plays out. Bet the outfitters will get some cash. Sadly they aren't suing the NDP but rather the government so if there is a payout it will come from the taxpayers not the NDP.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be too optimistic, courts are unpredictable at best and hunting isn't a right in this country for most of us. Be good to rattle their chains though.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Suit has zero to do with hunting and everything to do with unfair loss of revenue...I bet they get compensated.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
direct loss of business income.

I dunno,,,, this is kind of like Al Capone could have sued the US government when they ended Prohibition under the same rules.

Posts: 4983 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Suit has zero to do with hunting and everything to do with unfair loss of revenue...I bet they get compensated.

Supreme Court upheld Quebec's continued right to Newfoundland power at robbery prices. Most of us would consider that Unjust Enrichment. The lawyers are the ones who get compensated, one way or the other.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
quote:

Supreme Court upheld Quebec's continued right to Newfoundland power at robbery prices. Most of us would consider that Unjust Enrichment. The lawyers are the ones who get compensated, one way or the other.

Grizz

This class action is a civil case...

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

I dunno,,,, this is kind of like Al Capone could have sued the US government when they ended Prohibition under the same rules.

Capone wasn't licenced by government during prohibition.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

Capone wasn't licenced by government during prohibition.

Big Al went down for income tax evasion. Big Grin

Grizz

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Tax evasion, then prison, then died of Syphilis. Wasn't as good a life as some believed. Eh?

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Them sumbitches pine cone eaters should be entitled just to that, pine cones...
Here, they are trying to ban bear baiting ( Idaho and Wyoming)
Cocksuckers...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here, they are trying to ban bear baiting ( Idaho and Wyoming)

Divide and conquer they tried it here in Wis. pit the bait hunter against the hound hunters.

A lot of hunter fell for it luckily it never passed.

What we ended up with is every other year the first week of season goes to the other.

It all amazes me how many hunter are willing to sell other hunter down the drain.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Dallas Safari Club is lending some support:

DSC is eager to support Ron Fleming and the other BC outfitters who have been negatively affected by the BC government's unjustified closing of the grizzly hunt.

As such, on Saturday night, DSC will auction a BC grizzly bear hide that is wet-tanned and ready for taxidermy. Additionally, a six (6) day black bear hunt with Driftwood Valley Outfitters Ltd. in British Columbia is part of this package. All of the proceeds from this auction package will be sent directly to support the class action against the BC government.

Further, those who would like to directly contribute to the BC outfitters legal defense fund can send contributions to Conservation Force at www.conservationforce.org. Stipulate the project "BC grizzly lawsuit." Conservation Force can also be reached at 504-837-1233 or 3240 S. I-10 Service Road W, Suite 200; Metairie, Louisiana; 70001-6911 USA.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious how this fight against a crazed, misguided government is going? I just returned from a moose hunt in northern BC.....the griz were everywhere.....one stole 2 caribou quarters out of camp one night. Sounds like the ungulates in the lower portion of the province have been devastated since the ban and now resident hunters all head north. I was lucky to take a nice bull on the last afternoon.

I'll never understand how a government can act in such a misguided fashion with total disregard for anything but "feelings" just because one group values a species over other species. Hope things change up there.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 250 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll never understand how a government can act in such a misguided fashion with total disregard for anything but "feelings" just because one group values a species over other species.

Not hard to understand when you realize the government only cares about the government.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I'll never understand how a government can act in such a misguided fashion with total disregard for anything but "feelings" just because one group values a species over other species.

Not hard to understand when you realize the government only cares about the government.

Amazing how quickly the lessons of history are forgotten.....and how many willingly ignore the ones in progress.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 250 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bull Sprig:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Amazing how quickly the lessons of history are forgotten.....and how many willingly ignore the ones in progress.

It's our elevated standard of living that blinds us to realities, a change is on the way.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1605 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote