THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Caribou in NWT.... caliber question.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou in NWT.... caliber question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

I have booked a trip with Camp Ekwo in NWT for caribou. My friend uses a 25-06 here in Montana but Im worried about it. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my NWT caribou with 338-06 and 225 gr partition at 249 yards. However, I was using the 338-06 as I also took a large moose on this trip. It is not uncommon to have fairly long shots (or not). I would prefer a 270/280 but the quarter bore with premium bullets should work if you are so inclined. The grizz may be happy!

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always suggest to my hunters to bring a .25 cal on up,....nothing wrong with the 25-06 as I've taken maybe 75 caribou over the years with one. You're only hunting 60 miles SW of our area.
~Arctic~

A stranger is a friend we haven't met

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I hunted Humpy Lake a few years back with Camp Ekwo. We took 2 bulls each and two were Booners! I shot a 7mm08 and my buddy shot a .270. Four shots, 4 bulls. Your .25-06 will be fine--I shot a desert sheep in Nevada years ago with one. Say hello to Moise for me. Dave

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Your .25-06 should be fine for caribou.

I took my .275 AI to the NWT in 1999 for a combo Dall sheep/Mountain caribou hunt. Sierra 117 gr spitzers at 3000 fps. Essentially the same as a .25-06.

One shot at 206 yds and a 39"+ ram died in his tracks. One shot at 250 yds and my Mtn caribou walked 10 yds and fell dead.

Good luck on your hunt!

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not shot much large game with a 25 bore, but have had some experiance in Hawaii shooting feral bulls.
I was shooting a 257 roberts with 120 grain partitions and can vouch for their effectiveness on wild feral cattle weighing a thousand pounds and up.
Slip one in behind the shoulder and they do not go far.
A few just folded at the knees and dropped, most wandered off about 50 yards and laid down, dead when I got there.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
25-06 will work fine, caribou are pretty soft. The Eskimos, Inuit, and Greenlanders like the 222 and 223, and for some reason the 17 Remington.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely, that .25-06 is perfect for caribou. Good bullets in an accurate rifle = dead caribou. I used a .270 and a 6.5x55mm for mine and they were DRT.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Expect a hunt report in mid September.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote