New
Find
Notify
Tools

RAin and snow!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When will this stop??? If it's only raining in Calgary I'd bet it's snowing like crazy in the hills. I wanted to back pack in tomorrow night and chase bears....not looking too good.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Chef;
After your survival exercise, this weather should be no problem, I would think Big Grin The Sundre forecast claims we are going to get 10 to 20 cm and I ran into an old Outfitter friend who claims the Ya Ha tinda got 20 cm, monday night. Got to make it to Calgary tonight to see Ian Tyson and at 150. for tickets, we'll be bringing chains for the 4X4, if necessary. Big Grin I suspect he'll be singing "It's Moisture". Otherwise, I'd be tempted to go in pursuit of the wild pigs again.
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got to split 2 cords of birch tomorrow so I hope it stays cold at least 1 more day...

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
Drizzle and fog in Strathmore. If it's going to be poopy, then I would prefer a gullywasher for the moisture.

Mind you, from the number of air-drills in the fields, I suspect the farmers are hoping the rain holds off for a few days.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh well, no Ian. Big Grin Three couples at 150. each. Sometimes, there is just no way. Our hope was that he was snowed in Longview and would have to cancel. Big Grin I was the last holdout, but when our friends came over, the cops had H22 closed and they were high centering on our access road. He probably sang "Spring Time in Alberta". Big Grin We did make it to Sundre for the excellent Chinese food at the old hotel
Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I always heard that the winters were bad in Canada, but it's been snowing here all day. And I live in SOUTHERN Montana. Mad

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, that must have hurt a little bit. Oh well it was only country music you missed it wasn't real music Cool

We went out friday evening looking for bears. Saw one medium sized guy waaaayyyy up the mountain and in at least two feet of snow. He didn't look big enough for us so we waded across the creek and set up camp so we'd be ready for tha big push in the morning. Note to self, replace old faithful boots, yea the ones with not one but three holes in them.

Had a nice evening sitting around the campfire, supper was a communal affair. Buddy had a pack of Kraft dinner and an onion, I had a can of sardeines. They weren't too bad together, hunger really is the best appetizer.

This morning we slept in then got up and made a wonderful breakfast. a pack of instant coffee and a chunck of halvas all nicely swirled into boiled up mountain water. This wasn't too bad either. Then went back to bed for a couple hours in the vain hope that it would melt enough that we could actually walk into our chosen valley. Second time woke up and made second breakfast. Sat around for a couple hours and made sure we had burned our share of the forest, I really like a fire!! Then we hiked back out to the truck and explored the countryside a bit while driving home.

The snow sucked but at least we got out instead of sitting at home dreaming about it. I'd hazard a guess that monday or tuesday the hills will be full of bears.

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
4 of the last 5 weekends have been snow or rain at about 40 degrees. Not very nice ,yesterday was dry and about 60. Made 4 pick loads of firewood.

Posts: 19394 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote