New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellow Face
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted the story of this bear over on www.CanadianGunNutz.com but I wanted to share this pic.

We saw this bear yesterday. Had him at 30 yards and decided not to shoot. Looking for a monster. After looking at the picture of this bear, which I call Yellow Face, I realize I was looking at a monster...

Check out the gut and how deep it is even into his front legs. Check out the pumpkin head. Big seam in his head.

I estimate he is 7' and 400 lbs.

This pic was taken at 20 yards, as the bear was rising up from behind a large grass covered hummock.

And this was taken from about 35 yards.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's a really cool looking blackie! Had one similar to that come through my yard a couple of summers ago. Not in season though.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI as big as this bear is, and I maintain the belief that he is about 7' and 400lbs, I am going to look for a bigger bear.

I want a bear that is a no-brainer, one I don't have to spend time judging, if you understand me...

Man I love bear hunting!! nilly

Edit: FYI
Oh yeah, I went out last night and used this picture to determine exactly where the bear was standing... oh yes I did!
I then used that to measure to try to get as good a guess on his size as I could and I figure he's about 6-1/2' just on a straight line, nose to tail. When the curve of his body gets figured in, I think he just makes the 7' length.

Edit:

April 25th.

I have spent several days pulling pics off the internet to try to help judge this bear.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that calling him a monster might be a stretch. He is big. Most anyone would consider him a trophy I suppose, but he is not a "no-brainer" and I am now truly happy that I did not shoot him. I might have regretted it.

And the best thing of course is that I get to keep on huntin' fer a biggun... Smiler

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oopswasthatyourdog?
posted Hide Post
It says alot about a hunter when he decides to harvest a certain type of animal and not just any animal.
That sure is a beautiful bear,yet I also feel you made the right choice.
You will get that no brainer! Good luck.

I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
- John Diefenbaker (From the Canadian Bill of Rights, July 1, 1960.)

Posts: 104 | Location: St-Athanase, Quebec, Canada | Registered: 16 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta post pics of Yellow Face with the bear Lover Boy that I shot 2 years ago, just for comparison sake.

Yelow Face May 22 2008.

June 4th 2006. I shot this bear right after he had finished breeding a sow, hence the name Lover Boy.
He went 7' and 400lbs+.

These two bears are amazingly similar in size. It almost looks like the top pic is a before picture of Lover Boy. They both have really thick, blocky bodies, necks and heads.
Also FYI, the skull off L.B. went 20-1/2" green score.

These bears pictures were taken about 10 miles apart, as the crow flies. I intend to use my GPS to accurately determine the distance.

I am going this weekend back up into that country where I shot L.B. Taking the nephew along on his first bear hunt, it should be a blast!

Ummm, thanks for the comments btw. Passing up that bear was not easy! Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story,great photos and nothing but praise for keeping to your commitment! Not one in a thousand guys (including me ) would let that one go.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote