Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: roll call for canadians
 Login/Join

posted
Mile "0" City here, B.C. I primarily hunt Moose, Elk and Bear.

Posts: 9 | Location: Dawson Creek B.C. | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm a born-in-B.C. guy that has lived and hunted in the same spot at the east end of Francois Lake in Central B.C. for nearly fifty years. I hunt Mule deer, Moose, Bear (black and Griz.) right from my house, and this year filled my tags without using a vehicle. Love my Lever-guns, and shoot cast with my own hand-loads. I used to hunt Caribou and Sheep, but the hills keep getting higher and steeper!

Hunting, the great paradox: I love what I kill.

Posts: 15 | Location: British Columbia CANADA | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Another Albertan reporting in. Now living in Oregon thanks to the ridiculous Canadian federal gun laws. Saw the handwriting on the wall when we went to NZ in '79 as part of the Canadian Palma Team.

We left in December '78 for NZ, were told we would need FAC's to get our guns back in when we returned in Feb, '79.

Tried to apply for FAC, but was told they wouldn't issue us one because they weren't required 'til '79. Told Douanes we were going as part of national team representing Canada. Response was "Tough".

Anyway, moose in northern Alberta is my favorite big game. For bird game no where ever beats SW Sask, where I also lived for 5 years. If I could get my wife to move back to ice & snow, would like to live around Empress, Alberta, just for the bird game hunting, sunshine, and lack of crowds, Kalifornicators, & touristas.

Best wishes y'all, eh?

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another Albertan here. Live in east-central area. Good whitetail, muley, moose and elk. I check oilwells on the east side of Camp Wainwright boundry so I get to see some awsome animals! Bear and cougar have been spotted from time to time, as well. As a kid, lived on the east side of Vancouver,(Broadway and Boundry-Skeena Terrace Project). Hated it. Left home at 14, same year shot my first deer, 31 hunting seasons ago! Like all types of firearms, including archery. Am working on getting a Shiloh Sharps and customizing my P14,(shot first deer with it). Mostly use my Ruger 77 .308.
Alberta Canuck, I wished we could join you in living down there! Moose is also our fav. Used to hunt by Whitecourt till the natives claimed the land. Now we just go for the draws around here.
Here's hopin' we can beat the anti's and the Lib's and get our RIGHTS BACK!! LeRoy.

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Archdlx -

You live in some primo hunting area. I used to get drawn occasionally for the late Camp Wainright white-tail hunt. Remember one year when we driving to that hunt from Edmonchuk and it was blizzarding. The CFL western finals were on the radio and Ronnie Lancaster was QB'ing the Roughriders... The 'Riders kicked a field goal to beat the Stampeders during a white-out! Referee was just standing under the goal posts and saw the ball come out of the snow, through the posts, and on back into the blinding snow! Quite a game!!

Got pretty cold on the hunt. Our potatoes froze solid inside our caravan with the furnace on full blast. Was -35 with about a 30 MPH wind blowing to boot. I actually froze my parka to a tree I was standing under. Started to get hypothermia and had to clumsily climb the locked camp gate and stumble/jog south on the highway along the eastern camp border to keep from freezing to death. Finally got back a mile or so to the truck, got in, fired her up (luckily) and turned the heater on full blast for about an hour. Had a pretty near thing that day.

Actually, I wish I still lived there, but won't move back just so I can give up my guns to the bloody Tories...or live under the politically correct Thought Police.

It'll always be "home", and I still love it with all my heart, but I'd rather be an exile than a servile subject.

Best wishes to all.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Archdlx -

Forgot to ask you a question...what's that about the natives claiming the area around Whitecourt?

I used to have a Class B guide's license and would take Edmonton resident moose hunters into the Kaibab Field. Set up our camps in the Two Creeks (I think it was called) Campground there west of Whitecourt. Also used to hunt bears over around Iosegun Lake, whitetails on the Little Smokey.

Had a favorite moose-ground on the NW bank of the Athabasca where I could lay in the sunshine on a gravelly hillside, in the low-bush blue-berries overlooking an island in the river, and just wait for the moose to come to me. Killed (and ate) several of them there. It was part of Zone 1 then and two moose were allowed. When I was first married and dollars were scarce, my wife and I lived with our only meat being moose meat for several years. Cooked right, I don't think there's anything better.

Sure hope that area is still open to all Canadians.

AC

one of us
posted Hide Post
The ...politically correct thought police...are everywhere as are all of the forces that darken democracy and blight freedom; consider Schumer, Boxer, Feinstein and most especially, "Billary". In the USA, the Constitution still protects-to some extent-the gunowner, but, this battle is global and the enemy is everywhere!

What we really need is more people throughout North America who will stand up for freedom and responsibility for one's own actions. A really GOOD start would be for both the USA and Canada to get out of that evil empire known as the U.N.

I think that it is still possible to defeat the C-68 laws here in the "Great White North"; but, the enemy will continue to harass us for decades to come; the legacy of the sixties, Kennedy, Trudeau and the rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right about the Thought Police trying to be everywhere.

The big difference, so far, between the U.S. and Canada is that local governments are much stronger in the U.S., and the Federal Government much weaker.

For instance, the County Sheriff in every U.S. County is the absolute last word in law enforcement in that County, BECAUSE he is elected by the local citizenry. Not even the FBI can operate in a U.S. County without the explicit permission of the local Sheriff.

And, I'm happy to report, in many rural counties, in many states, the local Sheriffs will and do tell people like Schumer, Billary, etc., to go piss up a rope!

The Feds are certainly trying to gain more power locally in the U.S., and are still doing so bit by bit in some areas. But the pendulum may be beginning to swing the other way a tad in respect of gun rights.

You may have noted, for instance, that now some 35 or more of the 50 U.S. states have "shall-issue" concealed carry permit laws. Many did not allow concealed carry under any circumstances just 5-10 years ago. Under "shall issue" laws, any citizen who has not been convicted of a felony (indictable offense) or a vilolent misdemeanor (summary offense), is not adjudged mentally ill, and meets a few other basic "good citizen" qualifications, passes a criminal background check and a training class, MUST upon application be issued a license to carry a concealed handgun. In Oregon, you don't even need a permit to carry concealed if you are enroute to, acting during, or returning from a hunting or fishing trip and have a valid "Resident" hunting or fishing license.

And, it is not the U.S. Constitution that protects firearms here. The Constitution does not grant any of the rights covered in the U.S. Bill of Rights. The preamble clearly states that God granted those rights, and as such, they are inalienable. The Bill of Rights just lists SOME of them as examples. The 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution clearly states that all rights not granted specifically to the Federal Government in the Constitution are clearly retained by each and every individual citizen, and protected for him by his local State Government.

So, in the U.S. (as it actually is everywhere) the law clearly states that it is the Individual who protects gun rights, not some piece of paper.

But, you're right that everyone, everywhere, has to keep the power-hungry, would-be-ruling-bastards from overstepping their authority, every time, every day.

AC

posted Hide Post
Another one here from Central Alberta. I enjoy hunting Deer, Elk, Big Horn Sheep, Antelope, Black Bear. Whitetails are my passion. Book Mule Deer my dream. Draw for Grizzly Bear my biggest wish. Firearms my addiction ...etc.

Posts: 11 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck,
Yes, our fav spot was west of the 'court about 7 ? miles. There was a campsite there but cannot for the life of me remember the name. Thought it had something to do with beavers, though? There was a river there to the north. We called it the "Sak" river because none of us could say the name properly! There was also a small lake in there...Baseline?
Anyway, one year we went up there,(about 11 or 12 yrs ago), there were survey markers everywhere. We talked to a couple of local hunters who said the natives have claimed the land and this was the last year we could hunt there. Hunted there almost ten years before that, never went back.
We had friends north of Little Smokey, name of Gordon Barry.
We hunted there a few times, canoed a ways down the Little Smokey River. Tons of BEARS. I always promised the BEARS...you leave me alone...I'll leave you alone!!
You're right about moose meat. Between that and ruffies and sharpies, I woundn't miss 'tame' meat at all! LeRoy.

Posts: 100 | Location: Edmonton & Wabasca, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AC I do believe we have swapped posts before,maybe a year or so ago. I also do believe that someone should ought to tell the IRS about the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. They seem to be determined to either ignore it or trample it. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Omega
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I used to have a Class B guide's license and would take Edmonton resident moose hunters into the Kaibab Field. Set up our camps in the Two Creeks (I think it was called) Campground there west of Whitecourt. Also used to hunt bears over around Iosegun Lake, whitetails on the Little Smokey.AC

Born and raised in Grande Prairie I know the areas you are talking about well, my book bear came from near by. You wouldn't recognize even the road (Highway 43) anymore, all twined from Whitecourt to Fox Creek, the Two Creek campsite doesn't exist anymore.
Class B? Zone 1? Those are terms from my youth. How long ago did you leave the area?
Rich

Posts: 72 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Omega

Nice country that Grand Prairie. Used to fly in there fairly frequently and rent a rig to do my work in the little towns up along the Peace and farther north.

I moved away to Saskatchewan in 1973, back to Southern Alberta a few years later, but never got back up into the more northern areas. Before leaving, I also used to prowl the Ft. Assiniboine/Swan Hills & Calling Lake areas quite a bit. Also hunted Sheep Creek drainage north of the then brand new town of Grand Cache a fair amount. Seems I had trouble getting too far away from the route of the ol' Athabasca, eh? (Did manage to stray a bit for ducks & grouse...preferred the Vilna area for those, in the triangle between Vilna, the Reserve and the Hutterite colony.) They still had ferries instead of bridges across the North Saskatchewan then...

One of the neatest days of my life was out there, on a very shallow frozen pond during a white-out in late November or early December. Were little willow clumps sticking up through the ice every where. Standing out there on the ice in the pure white with no visible horizon or distinction between ground and air, I began to see little black dots all over the place. After a while, could make out that they were the eyes of snowshoe hares. Must have been 20 or more out there with me, all in their "forms" and trusting to their camoflage. Really raised a nice warm glow inside me. Naturally, I didn't shoot any of them.

Had a similar quality experience a few years later over on Long Lake in Saskatchewan, roughly the same time of the year. Went out very early one morning to hunt geese & sandhill cranes. Again, it was pretty much a white-out when I got to the lake, so I sat in the rig for a while drinking coffee, napping, and waiting for the snow to lighten and the fog to lift. When things started to clear a bit, I could see that on EVERY old wooden fence post for about 50 yards in front of my "Jimmy" there was a Great Snowy Owl. Apparently the storm had been a lot worse farther north and driven them south. Whatever the reason, was sure nice to see them all there, just like a parade.

Anyway, was all great country until American network TV and Pierre Idiot Trudeau all arrived...about the same time, too.

Am sure it is still nice country, I just probably wouldn't recognize or fit in with a lot of the changes.

AC

posted Hide Post
I,m in Ft. McMurray, Alberta. I hunt moose,bears, whitetails, muleys, and with about everything there is to hunt with !Big Grin I shoot black as well as smokeless in rifles and shotguns, and targets all the way out to 1k. I run a jetboat, and help out on my kid brothers trapline every now and then. Right now about all I'm doing is sitting in front of this computer due to the -44c weather!
Catnthehat

posted Hide Post
Hello all. I'm from Speedy Creek, Sask.

Posts: 7 | Location: Sask, Canada | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hmmph my account got deleted at some point since the last time I was here, man it's been awhile! oh well, hey everyone.

Posts: 8 | Location: Chilliwack, BC, Canada | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slavex,a new member? That looks really odd for some reason. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi there! I'm new to the list - very nice list!
I was born near Vancouver and today I teach high school for the Vernon school board. I hunt through out the province and enjoy all kinds of hunting, and eating all kinds of game.I know I'm prejudiced, but I think this corner of the world is one of the greatest places to live - and to hunt! This province more trophy heads in the Boone and Crocket book than just about anywhere else - I love the variety of game it's possible to hunt here!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post a search for his name. derf

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in God's Country, British Columbia. Between PG and Prince Rupert. In the Bulkley Valley, along the world famous Salmon and Steelhead river, the Bulkley River! I hunt moose and deer mostly. Also hunt small game, and bears if they stick there heads out for me.
Woodrow

Posts: 98 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey all, We have a good turn out from Canada and Alberta. I am from Calgary Alberta as well.I hunt everything! right now I am focused on Wolves!!
Have fun!!! Check out a local site.
www.wildlife-enhancement.ca

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow what a good idea asking about Canadians. I'm very pleased to see some neighbours from around Calgary. I usually go north of Ft.Mcmurray to hunt moose and bear. Also go to southern Sask for white tail. I love hunting with a passion and I eat all I kill. I'm a chef and make sausage so if any locals want to get together sometime to grind out some links I'd be pleased to help. I drink Big Rock beer and have two daughters. I've never been elk or sheep hunting but would dearly love to try.....so if anyone has any hints for me please let me know--I'm not asking for your secret spot though.

Tracy

Calgary

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, chalk up another British Columbian. I've actually been here for a long time but more active on another site or two. Born in Kelowna in 1945, Lived in B.C. all my life but two years, and they were in Alberta. Primarily hunt Moose, Elk, W&M deer, Black Bear, but also hunt many other species as time allows. Had the luck to draw a Bison 4 years ago...it was a blast!! Feel pretty fortunate to live in this part of Canada...no intentions of moving. Regards, Eagleye.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote