New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've had a notion for a while to make some shooting sticks. I intend to use them for bear hunting mainly; I want to do the spot and stalk thing. Then I would just grab the sticks from the back of the truck and try to stalk within shooting range of a bear etc...

So I cut 3 thin poplars. I cut each about 6'. Took 'em home and stripped the bark off them so they can dry a bit. I'm thinking of wrapping the ends with black hockey tape and then tieing the 3 of them together with a leather shoe lace.

Has anybody made their own set of sticks?
If so, do you have pics?

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Demonical,
Buy a rubber belt from the power-head of a vaccuum cleaner....works awesome for holding sticks together.
Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's what the sticks look like. The poplar is still very bright. I am going to rub them with some old fashioned black dirt, to stain them and darken them up. They are extremely light weight!
Canuck I thought it might be a p.it.a. to get vacuum cleaner belts so I went ahead with leather workboot laces.
I think they're gonna work okay.

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how could you do such a thing?? don't you know that it is required that you buy things not make them Wink for sure you are going to be gooned for this action troll

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought two, one two legs and one three legs. What got me into this was I made one first. It worked just fine.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is just a bi-pod but it works well from the sitting position but you could make them a bit longer for kneeling....made mine from aluminum tubing and surgical tubing.

With the rifle in place the extra piece of tubing holds the rifle in place while I use a varmint call with the other -- works great with a shotgun for turkey too.

You can either fill the holes in the bottom or just leave them the way they are if you need them to dig in a little,

Here's a pic of the bottom.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill that's neat! I like that. Cool