THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Re: Caribou: calibers & bullet types

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Caribou: calibers & bullet types
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have shot 13 caribou; 1 with a .338, one with a .30-06, and 11 with a 7mm Rem Mag, mostly shooting 150 grain bullets split equally between partitions and BTs. Never had any problems with any loads.

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many Caribou. The Quebec-Labrador variety should be similar-sized to what you are hunting.

They are certainly not difficult animals to kill. Any good deer cartridge will do the job out to 300 yards or so- from .243 on up provided you use a good bullet.

For bullets, I would stay away from ballistic tips if you are shooting them over 2800fps on impact. I had a bad experience using 180gr. BTs on Caribou under 150 yards with my .300WSM. They caused much more meat damage than I expected and did not penetrate the way I would have liked to see. I later switched to 180gr. TBBCs and Grand Slams (both way overkill for Q-L Caribou) but they really held together and achieved complete penetration on out past 300 yards. These bullets were also loaded for the occassional moose or bear on license.

Keep in mind that with Caribou you normally can shoot them from zero to infinity. Pick a comfortable range, then pick the right bullet and cartridge for the job.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where have you hunted them, and which herd??

Also, can you explain the differences in species to me, and the advantages/disadvantages of hunting each?

I wouldn't mind going for my 40th birthday.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Quebec-Labrador Caribou in both Northern Quebec - east of James Bay and in Labrador- Around Churchhill falls. As to which herd, it is called the George River Herd.

The Quebec-Labrador caribou is the same species. There are no differences between them in either Quebec or Labrador. In fact, the same caribou cross over from one side of the border to the other.

It can be a great hunt. You must decide if you want to shoot them in Velvet (Aug-Sept.), Hard Antler (late Sept-Early Nov.) or do a winter (Late Nov.-April) hunt (where chances on an antlered bull are rarer). Most expensive hunts are during the pre and rut in Sept-Oct. Aug-Sept. hunts can be combined with excllent salmon and trout fishing.

Cheers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bud.
I may PM you later for more details....I am really thinking about going...but different species, herds, etc..it confuses types like myself.

Thanks for your help.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The George River Herd is the largest, there is also the Leaf River Herd up to the East of Ungava Bay and the Torgnat (sp?) Mountains...the latter is more localized, while the George migrates much further from the high arctic to the boreal forests of northern Quebec.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you hunt with outfitter(s) and if so, whom do you recommend??

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I hunted with an outfitter many times. It depends on what type of hunt you are looking for- outfitters are very different, in that if you want a cheap winter hunt- there is a certain group of outfitters, whereas, if you are looking for a pre-rut trophy hunt there is another.

Prices also vary from $999.99 USD for a 3 day winter hunt all the way up to a $20,000.00 6 day hunt for a guaranteed B&C trophy via helicopter!! If you have a price range, rough dates, type of accomodations you'd like and experience, type of weapon (rifle, bow, Muzzle)etc., I may be able to give you some feedback Then again, nothing beats speaking with the outfitters directly, calling up references, cross-checking through a good booking agent and then short-listing them on several forums for even more feedback before you book a hunt!

Best of success!