New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian returns from Hell
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Clay Lancaster recently gave an interview on www.moosefm.ca about his hunting trip to Russia. What a tale! Glad to hear he made it home safely.

Posts: 108 | Location: corner of walk and don't walk | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amigo: Is there a transcript or summary or something ?? .. if not, that is about the worst reporting of a hunting tale that I have heard lately ....

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Clay and his companions went to Kyrgastan(?) to hunt Marco Polo sheep, Ibex, etc.. At the end of their hunt, they became stuck in a blizzard when their 4 wheel drives could no longer negotiate the trail. After 2 days of very little food and water, temps dropping to -30 at night, only 4 sleeping bags to share among a dozen people, and several calls to their booking agent, whose number evetually reached a not in service recording, a helicopter was sent to rescue them.
2 dozen people piled into this chopper and headed for the drop-off point. The chopper was overloaded with fuel tanks and such and the chopper crashed on a downhill slope, miles from anywhere.
2 locals were killed, and just about everyone else was injured, some seriously. A decision was made by Clay and a couple others to walk out to get help. They encountered a group on maneuvers and were taken by snowmobile to relative safety.
After refusing to sign a waiver in Russian, the gov. officials reluctantly let Clay and the others leave the country. The gov. also demanded payment for the initial fatal flight that crashed!
I will try to get the interview repeated if possible or a transcript as my short version is no substitute for hearing it from Clay.

Posts: 108 | Location: corner of walk and don't walk | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scary !!! ... there is probably a lesson there somewhere... but I'm not exactly sure what it might be .. Bad stuff just sometimes happens ... Too bad .. for all concerned.

Posts: 168 | Location: The Great White North | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are trying to get a re-broadcast of the interview organized so I will post the time(s). You can catch the moose on the net @ www.moosefm.ca It's well worth a listen to hear of all the details of this near tragic-- for Clay-- hunting trip. There's no place like home?

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Thanks yama. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the time of the re-broadcast. Would love to hear it!!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote