THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    BolenLewis late season goat hunt/Photos added

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BolenLewis late season goat hunt/Photos added
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings,

This is Kathi's husband Rick, from Terrace B.C.

Arrived yesterday and today was our first day of goat hunting with Spike from BolenLewis.

Weather did not cooperate, low visibility, and snow. There is a lot of snow on the ground making travel challenging.

Looking forward to tomorrow's hunt and will keep you posted how it goes.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Good luck Rick. Some incredibly big goats in that country and a unique hunt. Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your goat.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to hear from you!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2094 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredibly beautiful area. We hiked way back into a canyon and saw several goats, no big ones.

Snow is deep and makes for some hard walking.

Will keep you updated on how it goes. Thanks for the well wishes.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Counted 20 goats today, all nannies and kids.

The snow in some of these back areas is incredibly deep.

Got some great photos through the spotting scope of the goats on the mountainside.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Rick………. sounds like you are enjoying your hunt. The Coast Mountains up in that NW part of BC gets a lot of snow. You are seeing that country and hunting goats in conditions that only a few hunters ever attempt.

When you get that big billy he will have an incredible coat.

Take care and good luck!

Kelly

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Keep the updates coming! Good luck!

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was hunting with guide Klaus today. The plan was to take the quadra-trak way back into this canyon down an old logging road, then hike about a mile to where he thought some goats might be located.

We came to this creek about 50 feet wide and checked the ice thickness. There were several open areas where you could see the flowing water. I was walking in front with my rifle and Klaus was taking the quadra-trak when it broke through the ice falling over into the creek along with Klaus. The hiking poles, snow shoes, and shovel broke free and were washed away down stream. Our packs were submerged. We were able to winch the quadra-trak out of the creek and eventually located the shovel but never found the poles or snow shoes. Klaus did a great job of getting the quadra-trak out and after some drying out started again.

I got some good photos of the incident I will post after getting home.

No goats were seen today. I don't think I could have taken any more excitement.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
First time in my life I got to use snowshoes. We glassed several cliff areas that were clear of snow but no goats seen today.

We will be back at it tomorrow.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spike has an incredible ability to spot goats. Hunted hard, but only nannies and kids seen.

I cannot say enough about the work ethic of BolenLewis. They give 100 percent and never quit.

Back at it again tomorrow.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go girl.
Persistance pays off!

Posts: 10378 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We hiked way back into a canyon. Saw a lone goat bedded, but it turned out to be a nannie.

Later saw an absolute giant nannie. Her horns were incredibly long. I was able to get photos of her through the spotting scope, then worked to within 300 yards and got photos through the riflescope. If she had been a he, it would have been all over.

Back at it tomorrow.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it is all over,today was the last day of hunting.

We saw a young billie that was reachable, and a huge old billie that was near the top of the mountain in an inaccessible spot.

I cannot say enough about the effort Mike put into this hunt. In fair chase hunting you don't always get your trophy.

The people of B.C. are extremely friendly and I am leaving with a lot of great memories.

I hope to some day be able to return.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Sorry you did not get a big billy Rick. Kudos for you on selecting a very tough hunt that few have done. Hopefully you will get a chance to give it another go. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry that you didn't connect but kudos for keeping a positive attitude. Hopefully you can make it back sometime.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Youza! that nanny must be 11"
Stunning country and stunning conditions!

I love snowshoeing and got to do a lot of it this year, did a 5K race last week.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote