THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Re: So you think grizzly bears are dangerous

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: So you think grizzly bears are dangerous
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
"Somewhere along the line, I must have pissed off the horse gods cause payback, over the years, ain't been fun." LOL, I can relate. Nothing worse then a hay burner with a grudge. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I work in pretty much the only collision shop in this small town of 5000. Deer, moose and the occasional elk collisions add up to about 45% of our business. One morning last November during the rut we had 16 vehicles show up before 9:00 am, all suffering animal collisions from the night before and that morning. After the time changes in the fall when its getting daylight or dark at the same time people are coming and going to work and when the rut comes on strong is our busiest time of the year. I take my hunting vacation at this time cause I know the deer are moving hard for about a two week period. We do about 250 to 275 animal hits a year here. In fact I was with a friend last friday night and we hit a little forkhorn. Fortunatly we had a .22 behind the seat and were able to put it out of its misery quickly. Only did about $3500 damage

So far we haven't had any grizzly hits but do have black bear hits now and then.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being from the east I don't know a great deal about horses, but I wonder if they're not mean spirited animals. While visiting a friend on his farm and strolling the property his horse insisted on getting me between it and the barn, only to sidle over and try to crush me against the barn. The owner warned me to stay on the outside, but that horse kept trying to get the position for itself. Anyone else experience this? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not unusual.

When I was a kid visiting my grandfather's farm in Indiana we had a good number of his horses try to play games with us.

1) One would try to rub our leg against a barbwire fence any time we tried to ride it.

2)Another simply walked us out into a pond and laid down.

3) A gray, named Bird, acted real nice as our grandfather watched us load up, then threw us when he saw my grandfather disappear around the corner of the barn.

My grandfather came running. He picked up about 3' of heavy chain, held the horse by the reins and pounded on that saddle with all his strength until the horse stood still, shaking in fear, with his eyes bugged out a mile. He was a good boy the rest of the day, acted like our best friend whenever our grandfather came to check on us. I'm sure he really hated our guts.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote