THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Canadian rifles: What do you use?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian rifles: What do you use?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That's it for now, but, I am searching for a few others that I need, especially a Browning Mod. 71 in .348Win.

I know someone with one...but I don't think it's for sale.

Just thought I'd make you envious for a bit.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, making me jealous ain't real easy to do, especially since I have located two of these in the past few weeks; I just need to save up the money......

Of course, I could also really use a Westley Richards Droplock double rifle in .450 Nitro, now, if you know of one of those, THEN, I will get jealous, he he.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grisley Arms .22 LR
Marlin 882 .22 Mag
Savage 340 .30-30
Turkish Mauser 8x57
Winchester mod 70 .22-250

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For robbing banks, I like to use my Super 14 Thompson Contender in 22lr. ( ammo's cheap)
For raping and pillaging, I like to switch barrels over to 32 rimfire.
For hunting, I can't do it. This is all I got, and its illeagle to hunt with a singe shot pistol in Canada

Posts: 39 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I know someone with one...but I don't think it's for sale.

Hell Gatehouse I think BCBoy sleeps with that rifle! LoL (Actually he sleeps with that rifle and a keg of beer!) If by chance you can convince him to sell it I get fist dibs on it eh? LoL < !--color-->

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Mine is a Winchester!!!!! Model 71 Deluxe long tang..1939,

the Brownings are nice ifin ya like Japenese guns.

Mine is all orginal except for the cup holders

Posts: 4 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 21 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mostly use .22's- I really like them. I've got 3 Mausers-

A spanish Fr-8 that needs a new stock

A Turk 93 in 8 x 57

A Chilean 95 in 7.62 Nato

.22's-

Cooeys

A Model 75 Target that is surprisingly accurate

A Ranger marked 600- the magazine slides back and forth with the bolt- kind of a neat feeding system on that one

A Winchester roll stamped 750

other .22's-

Marlin 39-A from 1954

Krico 200 semi

Squires 20-A

Squires 2000-D

Ruger 10-22

CIL (CBC) bolt repeater- accurate copy of Rem 511- it even takes the Rem magazines

Winchester 1890/1906 hybrid

USRAC 52-B Sporting Repro- a REAL tack driver

Marlin No. 20 Pump

Winchester 190 Semi

Think that's about it, unless I forgot one or two...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Posts: 27 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The only lever gun I've ever really liked!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have an original Winchester 71, the same vintage as I am, '46, but, it had to go in a trade for my Merkel drilling. This gun is as new and is 9.3x74rx12x12, the finest deal I have made in 40 yrs. of gun collecting(next August). This is my favourite rimmed cartridge, the .45-70 is next and then the .348, these are all very good cartridges for serious hunter-handloader-bush workers, in appropriate rifles.

I want the Browning because of the extremely high quality of these Japanese repros of classic Winchesters and because they will shoot better than the originals. I have a Browning 1886 SRC-.45-70 that will shoot 1.5" @ 100 yds. with the custom Ashley Ghost Ring sights I had installed, this with Winchester factory Gold Partitions. My experience with the Browning 71s has shown that they will outshoot the originals, as well.

The other aspect of this is cost, a really nice original 71, especially a pre-war, long-tang, bolt peep is now a fairly pricey rifle to use as a bush gun. One can put together a repro with XOs or whatever they are called now for about half the price and then you don't have to worry about dings and so forth.

Gate', if you like 71s, you might want to find an '86 SRC Browning, the action is even MORE suitable for heavy handloads and with 400 grs. Swifts at 2000 fps., I think it is about the finest bear gun that exists and I either own or have owned about everything else. It is so much easier to carry on a horse or backpack that you have to experience it, I never bother carrying my .375H&H any more as this SRC is so much better for a bear and heavy cover rifle.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
KMB

I don't like it THAT much!

I like BCBoys Winchester 71 in .348....And I am happy to have shot it.

But I'm not in the market for something like it. I don't like lever gunsd all that much, but BCBoys is so well put togehter, that even a hard core bolt man like myself can appreciate it.

It is a gun that you can shoot at a charging grizzly, and if you don't stop him, you could (or I could ) beat the bear to death wiht the buttplate!